Director of Engineering and Public Works
The Director of Engineering and Public Works is responsible to the Council of the City of Terrace, under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, for the co- ordination of all transportation, water & sewer systems, solid waste, fleet and buildings, and the supervision, direction and administration of the day-to-day operations of the Engineering and Public Works Department.
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Engineer Manager, Public Works Manager and Departmental Services Clerk
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer:
- The Director of Engineering and Public Works is authorized to take any reasonable action necessary to carry out the responsibilities assigned to him/her, provided such action demonstrates sound judgment, and does not deviate from prescribed municipal policy, municipal bylaws, or approved municipal practice and procedure.
- The Director of Engineering and Public Works may delegate portions of his/her authority and responsibility to members of the Engineering and Public Works Department but may not delegate or relinquish overall responsibility and accountability for the performance of his/her function.
- Oversees all engineering and public works functions with input from the Engineering Manager and Public Works Manager
- Oversees and co-ordinates municipal infrastructure studies, asset condition assessments, service level assessments, energy studies, long term projects, etc.
- Oversees & co-ordinates special studies and key initiatives.
- To act as liaison and communicate with local officials of various Ministries, Crown Corporations, and government agencies on all functions pertaining to the Engineering and Public Works Department.
- To ensure all works completed by the Engineering and Public Works Department are done in compliance with applicable legislation.
- To hire, plan, direct, co-ordinate, administer and supervise the day-to-day activities of staff working directly under his/her jurisdiction, and to take any disciplinary or termination action, as appropriate.
- To ensure that employees under his/her jurisdiction are delegated adequate authority to carry out their responsibilities, but that appropriate limitations on their authority are clearly understood.
- To approve staff training, attendance at seminars, conferences, etc. of staff working directly under his/her jurisdiction.
- To be responsible for the addition, separation, promotion, demotion, transfer or retirement of any employee of his/her department and to recommend to the Chief Administrative Officer the granting of more or less remuneration to any employee of his/her department.
- To be responsible for the third step of the grievance procedure for employees under his/her jurisdiction.
- To develop and recommend for approval to the Chief Administrative Officer, and/or Council, the bylaws, policies, and procedures required to regulate the operations of the Engineering and Public Works Department.
- To prepare reports and make recommendations to the Chief Administrative Officer on the acquisition of land for road, easements, or rights-of-way.
- To attend various internal committees and report on same.
- To ensure that programs, policies, practices, and procedures pertaining to the Engineering and Public Works Department are observed and carried out as intended.
- To oversee and submit, the annual capital and operating budget for the Engineering and Public Works Department.
- To approve financial and operating transactions, for the Engineering and Public Works Department.
- To oversee and seek out applications for cost and revenue sharing grants available to the Engineering and Public Works Department, in conjunction with the Finance Department.
- To represent the municipality before the public in matters pertaining to the Engineering and Public Works Department, and to attend the public, as required, for the purpose of answering inquiries and discussing complaints with respect to matters coming within his/her jurisdiction.
- To attend various council and committee meetings as required, as technical advisor, representing the Engineering and Public Works Department.
- To prepare reports and maintain such records and information as may be necessary to perform this function.
- Act in the capacity of the City’s Approving Officer on a secondary basis, if and as appointed by Council, in the absence of the Director of Development Services.
- To carry out additional related tasks and functions, as assigned by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Ten years of related experience preferably with at least five years within a municipal environment
- Professional Engineer or Civil Technologist Diploma
- Experience in budget development and management
- Ability to supervise in a unionized environment and at a senior management level
- Working knowledge of the Local Government Act, Community Charter, and other acts and regulations
- Exceptional communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, mentor, coach and contribute
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence
This is an exempt position with salary commensurate with knowledge and experience, including a comprehensive benefit package. Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume by Friday, February 26, 2021 to:
Terri Williamson, Humans Resources Manager
For a closer look at what our vibrant and diverse community has to offer you and find information on moving to Terrace check out the City of Terrace website at www.terrace.ca
View Original Source Source