Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Development Planner (Planner 1)
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week
$78,601 – $92,864 per year plus benefits (2019 rates)
Our Development Services department has an exciting opportunity for a Development Planner to guide projects through the development approvals process and to undertake multi-disciplinary work within a team environment. Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Development Services and the Supervisor of Development Planning, you will work to ensure development projects are consistent with the City’s objectives and bylaws, including those related to land use, community benefits, transportation management, housing and social strategies, economic development and environmental protection. You will be working towards improvements in the development approvals process through the review and refinement of procedures and policies; managing the review of rezoning and other development applications in a timely manner; leading the negotiation of community amenities arising from projects; liaising with applicants, other City staff, professionals and the public; preparing reports and bylaw amendments; and making presentations to community groups, City advisory committees and Council.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a Master’s Degree in urban planning or a related discipline, with considerable work experience in development planning or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- You are eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- You have knowledge of best practices in community planning particularly at the local government level.
- You have an understanding of the legal and other best practices and tools applicable to the development approvals process for mixed-use and medium to high-density developments including sustainable development principles, community engagement and project management.
- You are proficient in creating and applying urban design principles and design guidelines in the evaluation of complex development projects.
- You are experienced in the development review process, particularly at the municipal level, from initial enquiry to Building Permit application.
- You have experience with economic, environmental, cultural and social considerations in the evaluation of development projects.
- You have experience with urban land economics, including the review of development pro formas and the use of financing growth tools such as amenity negotiations and density bonus policies.
- You have a track record of being creative and exercising sound judgment in a fast paced work environment while managing multiple tasks and resolving conflicts.
- You are able to work proficiently on your own or as part of an interdepartmental team in moving forward assignments and/or projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- You can express ideas effectively both orally and in a written manner to a variety of audiences.
- You have the natural ability to successfully engage other employees, professionals, Council, City committees and the public, and to convey clearly, the principles and requirements of sound planning and development.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-66, by October 6, 2020 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
View Original Source Source