Deputy Fire Chief
The District of Central Saanich, located on the Saanich Peninsula of Southern Vancouver Island, is part of the Greater Victoria Area and enjoys the reputation of being among the best locations in Canada to work, live and play. The District is bounded on both the east and west by ocean with many beach access points and is central to all amenities of the Greater Victoria area. This community of 17,000 residents is well positioned for the future. For 65 years the District has been well served by a team of dedicated and experienced firefighters who care about their community.
Reporting to the Fire Chief, the Deputy Fire Chief assists the Fire Chief in planning, organizing, coordinating and directing the operations of the fire department, in all fire suppression and related emergency services, and assists in ensuring that the department functions at an effective level within the policies approved by Council, the requirements of municipal bylaws, and the expectations of the community.
Reporting directly to this position are unionized career firefighters and paid call volunteer firefighters
The ideal candidate for this position will be a Fire Services professional who has demonstrated the ability to operate and lead in the volunteer career composite environment. The ideal candidate must have strong organizational, interpersonal, leadership and communication skills and demonstrated success in leading on the Fire Ground while effectively managing the administrative requirements of the department and its programs.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume that clearly demonstrates how, when and where you obtained the minimum or preferred experience and education criteria below:
- Minimum of five or more years’ experience in a career or volunteer composite fire department environment in progressively responsible roles
- Minimum of IFSAC or Pro Board Accredited Certification Requirements:
- NFPA 1021 – Fire Officer 2
- NFPA 1521 – Incident Safety Officer
- NFPA 472 – NFPA 472 Hazmat Operations
- NFPA 1031 – Fire Service Instructor Level 1
- Preferred certifications and education are NFPA 1021 – Fire Officer 3, NFPA 472 – Hazmat Technician, and/or Degree, Diploma or Certificate program in public administration, fire service management, emergency management, or equivalent.
The District is offering a competitive salary as well as a generous benefit and vacation package based on qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Interested candidates are invited to view the job description through the Current Opportunities page of the District’s website, and to submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 14, 2020.
View Original Source Source