Deputy Director of Planning & Development Services
The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine is seeking an individual for the position of Deputy Director of Planning and Development Services. This full-time position offers a competitive salary and a full range of benefits.
The position is based in Terrace B.C. This area is known for its world-class fishing and outdoor adventure opportunities, including a ski hill, 18-hole golf course, hiking and mountain biking trails. The area offers quality advanced education opportunities with both the Coast Mountain College and a University of Northern BC satellite campus. There is also a well-developed arts and cultural community, recreation facility and library.
Reporting to the Director of Planning & Development Services, the Deputy Director of Planning & Development Services is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Regional District’s Planning & Development Services divisions. This position works in an administrative, technical and management capacity in carrying out the supervision of such staff, programs and services.
- Responsible for scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, providing supervision, performance management and training and development of planning employees in the department. Assists in the selection and hiring of staff.
- Makes decisions and provides overall coordination of the day-to-day administration of planning activities in the planning department.
- Provides both short and long range professional planning advice and leadership to the planning staff.
- Coordinates the processing of development applications.
- Coordinates the preparation and maintenance of zoning bylaws and other such projects to implement official community plans and to ensure consistency.
- Coordinates the process of official community plan preparation and amendments, and other such policy projects.
- Coordinates the preparation, review and registration of covenants, agreements and other legal documents.
- May oversee the design and delivery of community engagement processes as required.
- Ensures the effective application of all CVRD policies, bylaws and applicable legislation pertaining to the planning function.
- Identifies, researches, develops and recommends policies and procedures pertaining to the planning function.
- Prepares and reviews staff reports and makes presentations to the Planning Committee, Board meetings and at public meetings.
- Assists the Manager with the development of annual budgets, authorizes operational purchases and monitors expenses.
- Oversees other project-based work as may be assigned from time to time by the Manager of Planning, including all aspects of project preparation and implementation.
- Maintains close liaison with other government agencies and responds to public enquiries and government agency inquires in Departmental matters.
- Fulfills the role of Manager of Planning, in his/her absence.
- Performs other related tasks or duties as required.
The preferred candidate will possess the following education and competencies:
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to provide a high level of direction and leadership to professional planning staff.
- Demonstrated initiative and judgement in planning, organizing and delegating work, setting priorities, problem solving and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to understand and apply bylaws, regulations, agreements and procedures applicable to departmental responsibilities.
- Ability to remain up to date in terms of personal knowledge respecting planning techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with employees, the general public, and Regional Board Members in a wide range of circumstances, including those of a sensitive nature, involving the exercise of the utmost tact, diplomacy and courtesy.
- Ability to research and generate effective written reports for committee and Board review and consideration.
- Ability to establish and maintain courteous and tactful, diplomatic working relationships with other employees, the general public, and Regional Board Members.
- Ability to effectively operate a PC in a Microsoft Office environment (e.g. Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- In-depth knowledge of planning practices and processes related to Official Community Plans, Comprehensive Development Plans, Zoning Bylaws and Development Permit Guidelines physical and community development planning.
- In-depth knowledge of legislative requirements, regulatory responsibilities, and regional district practices related to the processing of applications for subdivisions.
- Knowledge of sound budgeting processes
- Knowledge of GIS systems and their use in planning is preferred.
Specific Training and Experience
- University graduation in a related field plus a graduate degree in Community and Regional Planning or related field. A Master’s degree is an asset.
- Familiarity with the role of the Approving Officer.
- Membership, or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and Planning Institute of BC.
- A minimum of five years of related experience in the field of current and long range planning; preferably in a regional district or municipal setting.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience supervising and training staff is preferred
We appreciate your interest when applying and advise that only candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Please submit your letter of application, resume and references by mail or email to the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, November 9, 2020.
Regional District Kitimat – Stikine
Suite 300 – 4545 Lazelle Avenue
Terrace, B.C. V8G 4E1
View Original Source Source