Requisition ID: 29218
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Solid Waste Data Analyst & Reporting Coordinator utilizes data analytics to assess and communicate progress towards Solid Waste Utility and street cleaning business goals, and support continuous improvement of service delivery and policy setting.
The position is responsible for researching, compiling, tracking, analyzing, forecasting, reporting, recommending and maintaining best practices for solid waste data, with specific focus on assessing and reporting key performance indicators. The Solid Waste Data Analyst & Reporting Coordinator is expected to work with confidential and sensitive data, such as that which is used to identify work force trends and inform strategic direction regarding operational improvements, capital investments, procurements, and negotiations pertaining to legal agreements.
The immediate focus of the positon may include:
- analysis of operational data, preparing forecasts and completing sensitivity analysis to support capital project planning; and,
- getting the ZWRR Division’s business intelligence data ‘house in order’ by inventorying existing data sets and reporting processes and tools, comparing the results of those findings against the Division’s priority business requirements, and recommending options for improving or filling gaps to enable a better understanding of the business
The position reports to the Manager, Solid Waste Programs Branch through the Team Lead – Operational Technology and supports both ongoing programs and the planning of new initiatives. The position also interacts with the Director of Zero Waste & Resource Recovery, and Managers of Sanitation Services, Solid Waste Strategic Services, and Transfer and Landfill Operations Branches and their supervisory and technical staff as required, supporting the Division’s overall business priorities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports capital planning work by analysing operational data, preparing forecasts and completing sensitivity analysis
- Undertakes a comprehensive review of current solid waste data and metrics reporting processes, requirements and tools, assesses findings against the ZWRR Division’s priority business and project requirements, identifies gaps and develops recommendations for filling those gaps.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with key staff from operations branches to ensure validity of performance metrics, align data entry practices with performance metric calculations and support meaningful interpretation of performance metrics.
- Researches, develops benchmarks, and establishes and maintains best practices for metrics for the purpose of continuing to move the City’s Solid Waste Utility and street cleaning operations towards its business goals.
- Collates, reconciles, investigates and resolves data discrepancies/anomalies/gaps; analyzes, charts, and interprets findings; prepares metrics for routine departmental scorecard reporting.
- Researches, analyzes, forecasts, develops recommendations and presents findings relating to service trends, zero waste progress and capital planning, and performance measures.
- Responds to surveys/requests requiring the reporting of solid waste data.
- Utilizes IoT sensor inputs, MS Excel, Quantrix, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, SQL database query and GIS-based tools, to compile, analyze, forecast and prepare summary reports and data visualizations, such as graphs, maps, tables and dashboards.
- Performs data validation, reconciliation and statistical analysis using multiple data sources; alerts corrective action where necessary.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with key staff at Metro Vancouver and in other City departments, including Financial Planning and Analysis, for the purpose of acquiring data, sharing information, interpreting results, and preparing scorecard, service plan, policy progress reporting (e.g. Zero Waste 2040, Greenest City 2020 Target, etc) and similar reports.
- Designs, develops and presents metrics and reports to senior management.
- Recommends solutions and alternatives related to accessibility, interaction and presentation of data
- Other dutues/responsibilities as ssigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree such as Information Technology, Business/Public Administration, Mathematics/Statistics, Business Analytics, Economics or related field of study plus considerable experience in data analysis and business process and performance improvement using structured methodology, or an equivalent combination of applicable education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of data management best practices.
- Thorough knowledge of data management, business intelligence and data mining, designing dashboards, charts and other forms of reporting to support effective decision making for business process improvements and change initiatives for medium to large organizations.
- Sound knowledge of research techniques, statistics and data systems.
- Working knowledge of cloud and on premise warehouses and query systems.
- Ability to identify metrics and utilize performance measure data management process and tools to inform strategic decisions.
- Skilled in use of modern business intelligence (BI) software (Tableau, Qlik, GoodData, PowerBI, etc.).
- Skilled in query languages (SQL, MDX, etc.).
- Skilled in using SQL Database, for example SQL Server, Oracle, python or R, for operational reporting.
- Ability to use COTS applications Compuweigh, Hansen/Lagan.Strong analytical, research and organizational skills
- Ability to develop dashboard analytics and KPIs
- Skilled in GIS-based tools (ArcGIS Pro).
- Ability to identify business problems through data analysis, scenario modeling and creative thinking.
- Ability to design and build data warehouses and data marts.
- Ability to communicate effectively, foster high standards, and deliver results in a fast-paced, performance-focused environment.
- Strong sense of accountability.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities, and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data from multiple data sources and formats.
- Strong business acumen and ability to link departmental strategical goals to metrics.
- Skilled in using all Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel and Power Point; experience with Quantrix desirable but not required.
- Ability to solve problems and identify resolutions in clear, concise and compelling terms in a complex business environment.
- Problem solving and issue resolution skills in a complex business environment.
- Ability to think innovatively, solve complex problems and present solutions in clear, concise and compelling terms.
- Ability to build formulas for calculations and analysis of data.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well independently and in a team.
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and impartiality.
- Ability to participate in training and development both internally and externally
- Working knowledge of Quantrix desirable but not required.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-024: $36.45 to $43.04 per hour
Application Close: May 16, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source