Requisition ID: 28473
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The main purpose of this position is the development and support of internally developed and 3rd party applications on a wide range of platforms including desktop, network, client server, mobile, web, cloud and externally hosted environments involving various office productivity tools, programming languages, operating systems, database products, middleware and other technologies.
This is complex analytical and programming work involving all phases of application development including software development, testing and implementation, systems analysis, feasibility analysis, and documentation and training. The incumbent analyzes existing and proposed systems and procedures, designs and develops complex programs or segments of programs to solve problems, and performs related testing, debugging and documentation tasks.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to a Team Manager within Technology Services Applications Development, and works closely with Program and Project team members, external Vendors, Help Centre staff, business customers, and other IT partners.
- Recommends, designs, documents, develops, and revises computer solutions for requirements (and problems) of varying complexity
- Provides technical assistance and coordinates the development and integration of programs
- Plans, documents and executes software implementation, including rollback strategies, and coordinating activities with other IT teams and clients, following best practices for deployment and communication
- Develops queries, and advises team members on functionality, and instruction to locate and extract data
- Estimates time and cost of system development activities and reports progress against estimates to management, Program/Project Managers, and project team members
- Prepares and maintains detailed user and operations documentation to ensure service levels can be measured and achieved, and to meet audit requirements for safeguarding software, data and business continuity
- Evaluates the need for, and develops general-purpose routines, utilities and command procedures
- Prepares test data, test scripts and/or test environments, conducts testing (logic, usability, integration, security, and acceptance), debugs programs, and supports user acceptance testing
- Provides training and guidance on the use of computer systems and software
- Experience with the software development lifecycle, and common models (agile, Kanban, iterative, waterfall, etc.) with familiarity in best software practices including source code control, requirements gathering and unit testing
- Keeps up‑to‑date with developments in programming techniques and languages, operating systems, and database management software
- May provide technical direction to junior technical staff, clients or consultants
- Other duties/responsibilities, as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
- Completion of a Computer Systems Technologies two year diploma course at a technical institute plus sound experience in programming; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum 2 years proven experience in software development in a project environment for a range of environments and platforms
- 2+ years developing in the .NET (4.7+) or .NET CORE (2.1+) environment, Web API, RESTful API, MVC, Web Services, and rapid application development platforms (e.g. OutSystems)
- 2+ years of experience working with SQL Server 2016 & above, Oracle PL/SQL, ADO.NET, Entity Framework, and building database reports (e.g. SSRS, Crystal Reports, SSIS)
- 1+ years of experience with API Management and Integration Platforms (API design, gateways, analytics)
- 1+ years in writing Unit Tests, Functional tests, and test automation (e.g. Selenium)
- 1+ years with ASP.NET deployment techniques, CI/CD continuous integration / delivery, deployment automation, GIT, DacPac
- 2+ years of experience with application design/development/deployment, user interface design, data integration, data extraction, data analysis, reporting, and database design
- 2+ years of experience using documentation, testing, trouble-shooting, and security tools and techniques
- 2+ years of experience with problem definition, requirements definition, analysis and solution techniques applicable to systems and procedures
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.), web development and client server coding languages, database tools and integrated development environment
- General experience with information technology concepts for networking, and operating systems
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Combination of strong technical and business skills required
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Ability to manage projects, multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Continuous improvement and continuous learning mindset
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Number of Positions: 2
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: May, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: May 14, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source