Requisition ID: 31021
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Computer Programmer/Analyst – Front End Developer is responsible for ensuring that the City’s online properties are operationally sound and perform in accordance with the organization’s technical standards. As a frontend web developer, responsibilities will include designing, developing, and implementing new system functionality, interactive components and interfaces for the various digital platforms including but not limited to websites, mobile applications, web applications, and for making timely technical updates.
This position will spend approximately half of the time programming, while the other half is spent communicating with and supporting the business and other project initiatives.
- Designs, develops, tests, and implements, additional features and functionality for the City of Vancouver website, mobile and web applications
- Modifies existing site templates based on recommendations from the Digital Services team to improve layout, usability, accessibility and conversion paths
- Develops engaging, interactive components and interfaces using a variety of web technologies
- Works with Digital strategists and technical team to analyze existing system for improvement and to review implementation approach to ensure optimal outcome
- Carries out related testing and debugging tasks for the team to ensure delivery of high quality products
- Reviews and analyzes systems post implementation, to ensure the implementation did not introduce defects and/or performance issues
- Requires considerable independent judgement to recommend, design, implement and support web and mobile solutions
- Resolves escalated issues and works in a professional and timely manner when dealing with sensitive or controversial matters
- Identifies risks associated with planned changes to minimize negative impacts on site visitors, business operations, or site administration; Suggests contingency plans, where required
- Guides and assists junior applications developers to improve layout, usability, and functional design to adhere to CoV standards
- Co-ordinates tasks with 3rd party contractors and other internal groups to produce high quality work
- Provides technical advice, guidance, assistance, and suggestions to users and staff.
- Prepares and maintains user and operations documentation, and provides technical training for other members of Digital Services team and city staff
- Establishes best practises and standards by researching and introducing industry trends on new and emerging web technologies
- Provides guidance to webmasters in monitoring site performance to meet the standards and expectations regarding site availability, reliability, and responsiveness using a proactive approach
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Degree or diploma in computer sciences, web development or a related area
- Minimum of 3 years’ programming experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- 2+ years’ experience with static and database driven CMS like OpenText, Umbraco, and/or other similar Content Management Systems in a complex environment. Your duty should include templates creation, modification, testing and enhancement
- 2+ years’ experience with responsive, cross-browsers and mobile design, development and testing
- Experience with third party engagement tools, including surveys, maps, forums, etc., for configuration and frontend customization
- Experience with customer support, and documentations including training/providing feedback to technical and non-technical users
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to rapidly execute hi-fidelity mock-ups with a strong attention to pixel-level detail and craftsmanship
- Skilled in analyzing systems and web performance, and evaluating outcomes and results
- Knowledge of quality assurance procedures or user acceptance testing and monitoring methodologies, particularly as they relate to large web site implementations
- Ability to conduct user and product research and to design, test, install, and monitor websites, web pages, and applications
- Experience with Visual Studio/Team Foundation Server, Git, Visual Studio Team Services, Dreamweaver and Contribute or other web development tools
- Understanding and experience with application development technologies
- Knowledge and understand other programming languages (e.g. ASP.NET, XSLT, ReactJS, AnglarJS)
- Ability to work effectively in a changing environment and perform under pressure, organize multiple priorities and meet deadlines, articulate risks and make clear recommendations, and identify ways to improve service delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Considerable knowledge of enterprise-scale projects, their associated challenges, and required control processes
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff
- Excellent understanding of the end-to-end lifecyle of a web request from browser to database
- Constantly drive innovation by staying current with technology, trends, and new ideas for digital content production and process improvements
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $42.96 to $50.76 per hour
Application Close: July 26, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source