Community Services Officer – Training Opportunity #241
Closing Date: December 30, 2020
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists for Full-Time, Part-Time and On-Call Community Services Officers at the City of Kamloops in the form of a Training Opportunity. These positions perform skilled inspectional and regulatory work in the Community Services Division and perform custodial tasks, prison guard work, inventory management, and basic maintenance services. The work also involves educating the public about regulatory rules, conducting inspections to ensure that rules are being followed, investigating complaints, maintaining and preparing files for court action, mediating between members of the public, leveraging voluntary compliance, and seeking formal consequences for bylaw contraventions.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Enforces City regulatory bylaws, as directed under the Community Charter, Part 8, Division 3, Ticketing for Bylaw Offences, and issues permits, warnings, violation notices, and/or laying information by means of a ticket to offenders.
- Provides enforcement and security such as foot, bicycle, and vehicle patrols of various parks, facilities, City-owned property, and vehicles.
- Prepares files for court, obtains statements for court action, serves summonses and subpoenas, and gives evidence in court.
- Ensures care and control of prisoners and their property such as preparing and serving meals, assisting with searches and prisoner transfers, administering prescribed medication, photographing prisoners, obtaining prisoner fingerprints, and assisting with restraining prisoners.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Completion of two years post-secondary education in one of the following (or a combination of the following):
- Police and Justice
- Law Enforcement Studies
- Corrections & Youth Justice
- Human Service Worker Studies
Completion of British Columbia Auxiliary Constable Training Program or Police Officer Training.
Minimum of one year previous experience in the enforcement of municipal bylaws and regulations or as a Custodial Guard, in Corrections, or as a Sheriff.
- Ability to obtain the Justice Institute Level I and II Enforcement Certificates or equivalent.
- Valid Occupational Level 1 First Aid Certificate.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence Class 5.
- Ability to obtain WHMIS Certification.
- Proficient in basic Word and basic Excel, as demonstrated through testing. A 70% pass rate is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain RCMP Reliability Security Clearance.
- Physical abilities requirement, as demonstrated through testing.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check.
For Full-Time positions, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Part-Time and On-Call positions will receive 14% in lieu of all benefits, vacation, stat holidays, and health time.
Please see the attached job description for a fully qualified Community Services Officer for more details and review the attached Training Opportunity Terms and Conditions.
Awarding of Training Opportunity:
To be successful for this training opportunity, senior applicants must meet the above requirements. Applicants are able to participate in a maximum of two training opportunities at the City of Kamloops.
On-the-Job Experience and Training:
The successful candidates for this opportunity will be gaining experience and education towards becoming a fully qualified Community Services Officer. The exact length of the training opportunity may vary based on the previous experience of the successful candidates, but will be a maximum of two years.
The successful applicants for this training opportunity will receive the pay rate of Pay Grade 11 (outside),
$32.84 per hour until the full qualifications have been reached. After successful completion of the Training Opportunity, the incumbents will move to a Pay Grade 12 (outside).
Upon successful completion of the training opportunity, the applicants must remain in the position for the same amount of time that the employee spent completing the training opportunity.
Pay Grade: CUPE Outside 11
Hourly Rate: $32.84 (2021 rate)
Hours & Days of Work
Community Services – Bi-weekly Rotational Full-time shifts: Monday – Friday
6:00am – 2:00pm 2:00pm – 10:00pm
9:00am – 5:00pm
Part-time shift: Saturday – Sunday 6:00am – 2:00pm
2:00pm – 10:00pm
9:00am – 5:00pm
Full-time shifts: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
4:00pm – 12:00am
12:00am – 8:00am
6:00 am – 2:00pm 12:00am – 8:00pm
Part-time shifts: Saturday – Sunday 8:00am – 4:00pm
4:00pm – 12:00am
12:00am – 8:00am
Hours per Week: Various
Department: City of Kamloops -> Community and Protective Services -> Bylaw Services
Position Type: Other
Reports To: Community Services Manager
Close Date: December 30, 2020
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.kamloops.ca/city-hall/career-opportunities
View Original Source Source