Requisition ID: 26793
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is seeking a dynamic, forward thinking and experienced individual to lead the delivery of programs and services at Mount Pleasant Community Centre. As a key member of the Recreation Management team and reporting to the Manager of Recreation Services, the Supervisor is responsible for working as the primary City representatives and effective team lead in the coordination, development and management of recreation facilities, programs and staff in the community.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Supervisor is accountable for maximizing resources to deliver quality services and meet public policy and key performance objectives. The position leads a large staff team and works closely with a local community association under a joint operating agreement as well as other agencies to develop and provide relevant programs. The Supervisor is responsible for the management of local and system wide program/policy assignments and collaborates regularly with colleagues across the City organization.
Mount Pleasant Community Centre: is a co-located site with licensed childcare, rental housing and a Vancouver Public Library branch. This community centre incorporates a gymnasium with a climbing wall, dance and yoga studios, games room and a fitness centre. The Mount Pleasant Board of Directors holds monthly Board, Executive Committee, and Various Committee meetings, which the Recreation Supervisor regularly attends.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Recreation, Leisure Services or related discipline supplemented by courses or experience in related areas such as leadership, administration, business development, or human resource management.
- A minimum of 5 years in a leadership role in the recreation field and a proven ability to perform management responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of staff supervision and labour relations, management of large operating budgets, and effective community development
- Proven experience working with volunteer boards and community groups are essential.
- An equivalent combination of training, education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience in managing and programming for a wide spectrum of public recreation facilities and service needs, gained through progressively more responsible positions.
- Demonstrated skills and competencies in the following areas: workforce planning and personnel development, budget development and management, conflict resolution, project management, and facility utilization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: September, 2022
Application Close: April 2, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source