“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Community Economic Development Officer
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbour, and is a scenic forty-five (45) minutes’ drive from BC’s capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking, or sailing.
The District of Sooke has a permanent employment opportunity for a Community Economic Development Officer. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Community Economic Development Officer (CEDO) is responsible for creating an economic environment focused on attracting and retaining commercial businesses while advancing economic, environmental, and social goals. The CEDO is also responsible for the design and implementation of the community economic development strategy for the District of Sooke which will, among other initiatives, stimulate business activity and investment in the District.
Engagement, communication and relationship-building will be crucial to promoting and achieving sustainable growth through the expansion and retention of existing businesses and attraction of new businesses into the District.
These goals and objectives will be achieved in a manner that is consistent with Council’s environmental goals (consistent with environmental best practices) and nurtures the community’s (the District’s citizens) well-being.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- A post-secondary degree in economic development, commerce, marketing, urban, rural, or regional planning, public or business administration, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in Sustainability Planning.
- Completion of the National Certification Program for Economic Developers and supervisory training and experience are considered an asset.
- Seven (7) years’ experience of progressively responsible experience in community economic development or closely related field in local government, or equivalent combination of training and experience would be considered.
- Experience in the development of departmental and corporate long-range plans as well as budget formulation and reporting processes.
- Project management training and experience is considered an asset.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence.
This is an exempt position. The salary for the Community Economic Development Officer is $95,000, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, please visit the employment page of our website at:
Please indicate 2020-024 Community Economic Development Officer in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter, in pdf format, outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday, January 24, 2021.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
View Original Source Source