Requisition ID: 23754
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Communication Manager is the primary communicator for the City in all matters of strategic communications activity, and is responsible for managing communications planning and execution. This role supports the concept of a “single point of contact” and provides communication consulting expertise and guidance to enable the overall success of the Arts, Culture and Community Services (ACCS) group.
The ACCS portfolio includes Affordable Housing and Homelessness Services, Social Policy and Cultural Services. The Manager leads in the development and implementation of proactive communication programs and strategies around topics such as social and supportive housing, land economics and development, issues around homelessness, mental health and addictions, the Healthy City Strategy, Culture Shift, public art and social infrastructure planning.
The Manager provides leadership and direction to a small team of communications staff and outside contractors and suppliers to ensure program continuity and flexibility to meet emerging needs; including hiring, termination, evaluation, discipline, support, coaching, professional development and representing the employer in the grievance process.
The position reports to the Director of Civic Engagement and Communications (CEC) and works with other Communication centers of expertise to deliver, implement and support an integrated and complimentary approach to all communication efforts within the City.
- Develops, builds and maintains excellent working relationships and understanding of the various internal clients and stakeholders.
- A strategic partner to the assigned business units, leads the development of communications strategies addressing complex and varied organizational projects, priorities and issues.
- Ensures that team members understand the departments/organization’s priorities and goals and how their roles link to these priorities and goals.
- Brokers/coordinates required communication services from communications centres of expertise or external sources as required.
- Provides leadership, direction and supervision in the development and execution of communications plans and initiatives in support of the City priorities and initiatives.
- Proactively builds, develops, maintains and manages strong working relationships within the team and across the organization.
- Directs integrated communication strategies and execution and uses data to drive decision-making.
- Effectively manages budgets and processes to successfully execute initiatives in a timely manner.
- Develops and oversees the design and implementation of complex and specialized corporate communications initiatives.
- Provides leadership and supervision to staff, including hiring and termination, discipline, performance and attendance management, coaching, training and development. Inspires, motivates, guides ad directs all staff
- Provides coaching on a timely basis; develops goals and expectation, identifies training and development for subordinate staff
- Meets with employees to resolve disputes and administers appropriate collective agreements, hears grievance meetings at step 1 of the grievance process and in consultation with superiors
- Establishes and maintains communication with staff to discuss policies, administrative issues and share information, program plans and problem solve around difficulties encountered
- Setting performance goals and coaching employees to achieve desired results
- Manages cross-functional teams to execute the communications strategies and plans for the City’s major initiatives including the development of tools and tactics
- Effectively utilizes all existing communication tools and tactics and implements new methods as well, to ensure that messages are communicated effectively
- Proactively identifies emerging issues and opportunities on a regular basis, and recommends appropriate communications approaches
- Responsible for the development, handling and distribution of sensitive information to senior management in a timely manner
- Fosters trust and credibility through ongoing, clear, accurate, open, timely and two-way communication with external audiences.
- Provides regular instruction to junior communications staff to ensure consistency in the services provided by the communications department.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications preferred
- Minimum 8 – 10 years of experience in progressively senior communications roles in organizational or internal employee communications portfolio
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing employees, project teams and contractors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Successful candidate will be:
- a self-starter and critical thinker
- experience working with diverse communities
- excellent communicator, excellent verbal and written communications skills
- able to diplomatically ask questions, challenge and suggest alternative strategies and approaches
- experienced in developing and executing strategic communications plans
- ability to see the big picture and anticipate emerging issues and trends, and then tailor communications tactics to address them.
- advanced corporate and media issues management expertise
- able to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects and teams at time
- a strong and valued individual contributor as well as an integral collaborative member of the communications team
- excellent relationship building skills with and advising to senior executives
- able to demonstrate resourceful thinking and the ability to make decisions and organize thoughts under time and budget constraints
- knowledgeable about local government operations and processes
- Second language is an asset
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2021
Application Close: January 27, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source