Requisition ID: 29914
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
As a member of the Corporate Communications team, the Communications Coordinator II – Water works on a variety of strategic communications projects and campaigns on behalf of both the Water & Sewers and Integrated Strategy & Utilities Planning divisions.
The position has a strong focus on media and issues, alongside responsibility for social marketing and public campaigns, focused on water conservation, water quality and public awareness of the City’s One Water initiative.
In addition, the position is responsible for creating and supervising the creation of various communications tools to inform the public about key initiatives, their expected impacts and the opportunities for public involvement; liaising with the media on issues and questions related to the key initiatives, and arranging interviews with staff or elected leaders as appropriate; developing, or supervising the development of a wide range of written materials, including social media and advertising campaigns, news releases, backgrounders, presentations, social media campaigns and advertisements.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to the Communications Manager, Engineering Services and in conjunction with the Directors of both divisions. The Communication Coordinator II (CCII) works as an integral part of the Engineering Services Communications team, portfolio team, and with a graphic designer and/or additional Communication Coordinators, to provide communications advice and services to senior leadership. The position liaises with media, government agencies, First Nations and Community Groups.
- Coordinates various highly sensitive communications projects of longer duration involving contentious issues and complex strategies.
- Provides communications advice to client areas in the Water and Sewers and Integrated Water and Utilities Planning divisions.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements communications plans
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of communication and social marketing campaigns and activities in terms of meeting departmental and/or program objectives.
- Oversees the work of consultants involved with a variety of programs and projects.
- Researches, writes, produces and executes a wide variety of communications tactics for web, social media, advertising, video and print.
- Writes project specific content and oversees production of communication materials
- Assists in arranging news conferences and other special events.
- Prepares reports, presentations, correspondence and other materials related to the work.
- Provides messaging for City Council.
- Monitor communication project budgets
- Establishes and maintains liaison with the media, government agencies and stakeholders
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- University graduation with a degree in journalism, communications or related discipline, plus considerable (five to seven years) related experience on public-facing campaigns focused on behavior change and experience working with and communicating to diverse community groups, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must have considerable experience implementing communications plans on high-profile, complex and/or controversial topics; experience in managing issues related to initiatives
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the news and advertising media.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to professional communications
- Good working knowledge of local government and how it operates.
- Considerable knowledge in writing and editing for web, print, social media, video and advertising.
- Considerable knowledge using web content management systems to deliver on communication goals.
- Considerable knowledge in developing key messaging and media relations strategies.
- Considerable knowledge in developing and implementing concepts and themes and to research, write, produce and disseminate a variety of communications materials.
- Superior level of English language communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective liaison and working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to identify risk to the organization in potentially contentious issues and escalate them to a superior.
- Ability to prepare and maintain reports, presentations, correspondence and other related materials.
- Ability to oversee the work of staff (graphic designer, videographer) and consultants engaged in communication work.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Position End Date: June, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-27: $41.29 – $48.78 per hour
Application Close: May 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source