Requisition ID: 25273
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Communications Manager, Media and Issues, the Communications Coordinator II – Media Relations provides professional best practice-based communications support to the assigned operational client departments, which includes but is not limited to: media relations, issues management, strategic communications, stakeholder relations and publicity. This work involves research, writing, editing, planning, strategizing and collaboration.
As part of the Civic Engagement and Communications team, this position has a strong strategic focus and requires someone who can work well to short deadlines, influence upwards and use their initiative. The role includes: liaising with the media on issues and questions related to the key initiatives, and arranging interviews with staff or elected leaders as appropriate; developing, or supervising the development of a wide range of written materials, including news releases, backgrounders and social media content; developing communications strategies that support successful business outcomes; tracking metrics and trends to make insight driven decisions regarding pitches and media strategy; and liaising with other government agencies and stakeholders as required.
On a day-to-day basis, the position advises departmental managers, senior planners and other City staff on communications matters related to key initiatives.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as the primary liaison to the media, coordinates media responses and spokespeople as appropriate, develops backgrounders and fact sheets
- Coordinates media calls and ensures that all reporters’ requests are responded to in a timely and effective manner
- Writes news releases, information bulletins and assists with the creation of op-eds
- Organizes and oversees the running of media events
- Develops coverage generation ideas and pitches content to outlets
- Collates and reports on media metrics, including daily media request summaries and annual call data
- Provides communications project support to a variety of City, including developing a wide variety of publicity and informational materials including web copy, news releases, newsletters, speaking notes and social media content
- Assists in the training of spokespeople and supports City spokespeople with interview preparation
- Liaises with related agencies and organizations (provincial government; health authorities; police; fire) to ensure effective and timely coordination of information to the public
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related discipline and at least five to seven years’ experience in a communications and/or community relations position, or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience;
- Considerable experience liaising with the media, handling their requests and building relationships; implementing communications plans on complex and/or controversial topics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Superior level of English language communication skills, both written and oral.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to professional communications
- Demonstrate good working knowledge of local government and how it operates.
- Experienced in writing and editing for web, print, social media, video and advertising.
- Experienced in developing key messaging and media relations strategies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective liaison and working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans, programs, and activities
- Experienced in developing and implementing concepts and themes and to research, write, produce and disseminate a variety of communications materials.
- Ability to identify risk to the organization in potentially contentious issues and escalate them to a superior.
- Experience in developing reports, presentations, correspondence and other related materials.
- Strong written and spoken language skills in Cantonese, Mandarin, Traditional and Simplified Chinese will be considered an asset
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-27: $41.29 to 48.78 per hour
Application Close: May 30, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source