Requisition ID: 26057
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Revenue Services Customer Service Clerk IV performs complex clerical and moderately complex accounting tasks that ensure the timely, accurate and efficient billing and processing of the City’s main revenue streams including property taxes, utilities, bylaws as well as licences, permits, rentals and trade receivables.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
This position is part of the Revenue Services team and reports to the Customer Service and Remittance Processing supervisor. The RS Clerk IV interacts with customers in person, by phone or in writing under a variety of circumstances. The RS Clerk IV works with a number of City departments including 311, Engineering (Utilities and parking), Treasury Services, Financial Services (Central Accounts Receivable) and Technology Services. As well, the RS Clerk IV works with external agencies including BC Assessment, Provincial Ministries and agencies, ICBC, external auditors and other taxing authorities, federal and provincial grant payees.
Performs a variety of complex clerical and moderately complex accounting tasks in the following processes:
- Customer Services & Remittance Processing
- Oversees the remittance processing area in RS which includes two (2) OSCIII during non-peak periods and an additional four (4) OSCII during non-peak periods.
- Team lead for three clerk IIIs
- Backs up the Corporate Cash Coordinators end of day duties.
- Maintains customer service statistics for RS
- Processes complex billing and account adjustments for variety of utilities: flat rate and metered water and sewer, cart fees and other charges for solid waste, user fees for neighbourhood energy.
- Reviews and analyzes consumption data for trends and anomalies.
- Property Tax
- Processes complex billing and account adjustments for property taxes.
- Processes home owner grants, deferral applications, apportionments, co-ops, supplementary rolls, apportionments, penalties and interest adjustments.
- Coordinates tax sale process, compiles and records grants-in-lieu, processes and balances collections and remittance to other taxing authorities, processes local improvement and business improvement charges.
- Team lead for three Clerk III and one OSCIII
- Processes complex account adjustments, adjudication support and documentation, generating reminder notices, prepares collection files.
- Vacancy Tax
- Processes billing and account adjustments, compiling information and reports for property status declarations, audit and review file support.
- Processes more complex escalated customer inquiries, issues and complaints (in person, by phone or in writing) and escalations.
- Provides information on account balances, transactions, payment methods and options.
- Provides information on relevant legislation, bylaws, programs (i.e. Home Owner Grant, Property tax deferment, Vacancy tax), investigates payment and correspondence issues, and escalates complex issues to supervisor.
- Supports CSRs and RS Clerk Ills.
- Processes refund and adjustment requests and compiles supporting documentation.
- Performs user testing on applicable systems, performs routine data integrity processes.
- Performs diagnostic and problem solving tasks to ensure accuracy of transaction and customer data.
- Compiles, researches, and performs analysis of account transactions.
- Performs GL account reconciliations for receivables and revenue accounts in accordance with established divisional guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Prepares supporting documentation and process account adjustments in various systems including Tempest, Amanda, Posse and Quickweb.
- Prepares and maintains a large volume of records and files, both manual and electronic; review, analyze and prepare statistical reports from data requiring an understanding of problems and terminology involved; devises forms, sets up moderately complex statistical tables and assists in the preparation of routine reports.
- Assists with recording, compiling of department operational metrics and statistics.
- Assists supervisor and manager in identifying, recommending and implementing business process improvements.
- Assists supervisor in training and scheduling staff and provides backup coverage as required.
- Maintains and updates procedural and training manuals and reference materials. Prepares documentation as required.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive materials and information.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 preferably including or supplemented by courses in business and accounting, preferably completion of a diploma program in accounting.
- Considerable experience as a Revenue Services Clerk Ill or relevant senior clerical and/or supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate-level knowledge of accounting – ability to balance and reconcile customer and general ledger accounts coupled with a good knowledge of audit trails and documentation.
- Considerable knowledge of office procedures, practices and equipment; previous exposure to municipal policies and procedures highly desirable.
- Working knowledge in business types processed at RS counters (tax, utilities, bylaw fines, alarm permits, vacancy tax, residential parking permits, business license, commercial decals, dog licenses, rent and accounts receivable) to support customer inquiries and payments taken in RS
- Demonstrated competency in MS Windows, MS Office, Outlook and Internet search tools; strong Excel skills and ability to analyze data with charts and Pivot tables.
- Ability to work and understand sophisticated financial systems
- Considerable analytical, trouble-shooting and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing; able to think in a creative, innovative and collaborate manner and exercise sound judgment when making decisions.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and set priorities; able to work within established guidelines with little direct supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment and show leadership and initiative.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: January 31, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-019: $29.74 to $34.98 per hour
Application Close: March 26, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source