Requisition ID: 26495
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The position is responsible for supporting efficient and effective operations and provides complex executing administrative support for two senior management positions within Arts, Culture and Community Services(ACCS).
This position directly reports to the Administrative Coordinator, Social Policy and Projects, Arts, Culture and Community Services, with respect to day to day administrative systems, processes and tasks. Supports two senior management positions as well as provide back up administrative and executive support to other senior leaders as required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, co-ordinates and manages the Managing Director’s and Assistant Director’s schedules, priorities, appointments, internal and external meetings, workshops, etc., while constantly working with multiple, competing, changing priorities. This includes the arrangement of large and small group meetings and meeting logistics (e.g. scheduling attendees, room procurement, equipment, food, etc.). Further, this includes liaison with the City’s appointed travel coordinator for Woodward’s location agent when any of these two executives are required to travel.
- Maintains ongoing contact with other senior staff and their administrative assistants throughout the CoV and outside agencies.
- Manages the flow of documents and inquiries; screens, reviews, edits and proofreads correspondence, e-mail, telephone calls, voice-mail, etc. Advises on key issues and concerns re: meetings, urgencies, and other priorities. Decides on priority and urgency of issue or request for senior executive’s time and attention, deciding what issues or requests to be delegated elsewhere in the organization. These decisions are often required when the MD and AD are not available for advice.
- Maintains records and file management for both senior management and other project related records.
- Drafts correspondence, agendas, records minutes, e-mails, contracts, etc. on behalf of the executives. Tracks and follows-up on correspondence and other types of inquiries, (e.g. administrative, financial, human resources issues) ensuring that responses to requests for information from the public, Mayor and Council, and other City departments, etc., are completed in a timely manner.
- Prepares, distributes, photocopies, etc., reports, presentations, correspondence, spreadsheets, etc., as required.
- Set up and tear down of meeting rooms, books workshop and meeting venues, orders catering, welcomes meeting guests by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Attends meetings to record minutes, as required.
- Communicates information regarding City Council and Standing Committee agendas, including In-Camera agendas and advises both Executives of any significant items. Also, communicates information about variety of meetings such as CMT agendas, Steering Committees, Task Forces, project work, etc. for deadlines, meetings and critical management issues and communicates department related matters to executive staff. Maintains a bring-forward system for monitoring and tracking all items. Knowledge of share point is an asset.
- Researches, investigates, obtains, disseminates and summarizes information for executive action; keeps active project files; organizes and maintains files and records in paper and electronic formats; handles confidential materials.
- Organizes and maintains senior management office space.
- Supports clerical team and other project related work as assigned.
- Updates division organization chart and maintains monthly Attendance Management records for regular review by Senior Management
- Strong operations skills to assist with multiple tracking documents, and follow-ups with staff
- Strong time management skills to assist with day to day challenges and tasks
- Initialize and finalize travel and training forms for the Social policy & Projects, including registering, making travel and hotel arrangements prior to the event and collecting receipts, tallying expenditures and submitting for reimbursement;
- Custodian for Petty Cash and Special Events Float for Woodward’s Location.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of 12th Grade preferable including or supplemented by courses in commercial and administration subjects or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- This position requires a very organized individual with at least 5 years’ experience working at a senior management level in an administrative capacity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, practices and procedures;
- Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook (e-mail and scheduling), as well as the ability to navigate and do research;
- Excellent keyboarding skills are required;
- Superior knowledge of presentation software (such as PowerPoint) and knowledge of project management software (such as Microsoft Office Project and Access) is an asset.
- Knowledge of modern office equipment (e.g. fax machine, voice-mail, scanners, multi-purpose machines, etc.).
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and business math is required.
- A thorough knowledge of departmental and corporate rules, regulations, policies, procedures, processes and functions is highly desirable. Familiarity with the City Clerk’s office, City Council, its Standing Committees, Public Hearings is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with specific CoV office systems (e.g. SAP, Success Factor, VanRims and VanDocs,) is an asset.
- A background in municipal government and knowledge of community issues (e.g. social, housing, development and licensing issues, etc.) is an asset.
- Superior communication, interpersonal, organizational skills, good judgment, constant initiatives and diplomacy are a necessity.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff of various civic departments and representatives of outside agencies.
- Ability to make decisions about spontaneous events (e.g. what to do with “drop-in” visitors or difficult telephone inquiries, etc.)
- Ability to work under pressure, establish work priorities, multi-task, and to develop and maintain effective work procedures and processes. The position requires an accelerated work pace in order to serve two executives and address their constantly changing priorities. Must manage multiple competing responsibilities and tight deadlines is necessary.
- Ability to record, compile and draft reports, correspondence, minutes, etc., as required
- Initiative and ability to foresee the need for a meeting or communication and to arrange this (e.g. a briefing from staff, a phone call, composition of a piece of correspondence, etc.)
- Ability to supervise clerical staff as and when required.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: April, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $27.45 to $32.25 per hour
Application Close: March 12, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source