Requisition ID: 21674
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position sits within the Structures Section in the Streets Design Branch and reports directly to the Structures Engineer.
The Structures Section manages City’s 46 bridges, 9 km of seawall, over 500 retaining walls, and other miscellaneous structures and plans their maintenance, repairs, and upgrades.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position will provide support for:
- Procurement and project management of contracted engineering, maintenance and construction services to support major and minor capital projects/initiatives, such as Cambie Seismic Upgrade, Granville Coating Renewal programs, Seawall Inspection Program, and many others
- Asset management initiatives, such as structural inspection, rehabilitation prioritization & planning, and reporting for bridges, seawalls and retaining walls
- Annual budget planning and capital planning, as well as budget tracking for individual projects and programs
- Operations and maintenance improvement initiatives, such as creation of bridge-specific maintenance plans
- Earthquake response (including training exercises, tool & document development), sea level rise and resilience planning initiatives
- Transportation improvements (as part of Transportation 2040 Plan) where existing and/or contemplated bridge and seawall infrastructure is involved, such as Granville Bridge Connector or Dunsmuir Connector
- Development and related processes through technical reviews of subdivision, rezoning, development, public art, and utility permit applications
- Program improvements, such as quality management and other process and procedural initiatives within the branch
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a Professional Engineer designation and minimum of 5 years’ related experience in structural consulting, construction management, and/or structural inspection of bridges and other heavy civil infrastructure
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of bridge/structures inspection, maintenance, and lifecycle planning practices would be an asset
- Working knowledge of bridge service level maintenance contracts would be an asset
- Demonstrated project management and asset management experience
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders, with experience writing technical reports
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to independently solve problems and to work in a dynamic team environment with little supervision
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, processes and policies
- Proficient in the use of software applications such as MS Office and Bluebeam
- Demonstrated knowledge of EGBCs Organizational Quality Management processes
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2021
Position End Date: December 2021
Application Close: November 15
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source