Urban Systems Ltd. (Fort St. John)
Fort St. John, BC
About the Opportunity
Our established Fort St. John office is looking to add a capable and enthusiastic Civil Engineer-in-Training to the existing team of professionals providing quality service to our clients. Civil and environmental engineering is an integral part of our practice at Urban Systems. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities.
Assisting in the planning, design, and consultation on several projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibilities as you demonstrate you are able to handle. In addition to the unmatched learning and project experience you will receive, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Honing your civil engineering skills and developing an understanding of best practices in a practical, real world setting.
- Applying theory and providing workable solutions related to the implementation of engineering work specifically in regard to general municipal engineering with a focus on water and wastewater projects.
- Apply practical knowledge to water and wastewater projects including treatment plants, pump stations, and linear assets of collection and distribution systems while providing workable solutions to engineering problems on small to large scale projects.
- Develop conceptual and preliminary designs of water and wastewater systems by assessing regulations, design criteria and applicable processes/technologies, while optimizing systems to provide low lifecycle costs for owners.
- Acting as the clients’ representative on-site during construction to gather information, conduct inspections and ensure that designs are built to specifications.
- Building relationships with existing project leaders and clients.
- Providing accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations as required.
- Preparing cost estimates and reviewing contracts.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with contractors, co-workers, clients, and the general public.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
The right candidate for this opportunity will be a recent graduate from a civil, chemical, or environmental engineering degree program, be committed to providing great service to our internal and external clients and have a keen interest in municipal engineering. In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in civil or environmental engineering and working with local municipalities, Indigenous communities, and land developers in British Columbia.
- You are able to work on multiple projects and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver and continually deliver consistent, high quality work.
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others and enjoying working with people
- Collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives
- Providing practical solutions to problems
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients
- You are able to travel to project sites within British Columbia and Alberta.
- Hold a valid class 5 drivers’ license
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter- disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
About Fort St. John
The City of Fort St. John is known as the Energetic City for a reason! It is a small bustling community with a young and growing population. This is an opportunity to live and play in the North while joining a tight-knit office working on unique assignments creating resilient and vibrant communities across the BC Peace.
Our Fort St. John office, established in the North for over 25 years, has a team of 18 people who support communities across the Peace region including our neighbouring Indigenous communities and 15 local municipalities and regional districts.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills, and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. Our office will be closed from December 25, 2020 to January 3, 2021 and we will be reviewing applications upon our return.
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 15, 2021 at 9:00 am PST.
View Original Source Source