Requisition ID: 28873
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, the Civil Engineer I (CEI) for Flood Management provides engineering design, planning, project management, and contract management for planning, developing, and implementing shoreline flood protection and diking infrastructure projects, and establishes shoreline requirements for development proposals. In addition, the position also supports engineering design of storm and sanitary sewers and the investigation of sewer system and drainage problems. The CEI – Flood Management Engineer will be an integral resource in liaising with inter-departmental and inter-disciplinary staff and external stakeholders including utility companies, Metro Vancouver, Fraser Basin Council, Provincial Ministries, Federal Departments, and other local governments.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Works cross-functionally with other City departments and outside stakeholders to develop a coastal flood mitigation strategy that integrates multiple objectives such as transportation planning and design, climate adaptation, land development, environmental enhancement, urban design and community building.
- Completes cost effective storm and sanitary sewer infrastructure design for construction by City or private crews.
- Provides project management of shoreline flood protection (diking), sewer, and multi-disciplinary (sewer, water, streets) capital projects.
- Performs field reviews on infrastructure to ensure compliance with design standards
- Reviews designs and/or tender documents for diking, storm, and sanitary sewer infrastructure capital designs.
- Prepares letters and media information related to shoreline flood protection,
- Completes post construction evaluation of project closing.
- Investigates storm events and flooding locations and liaises with Sewer Operations, Risk Management and the public.
- Communicates and liaises with outside agencies, public, internal branches and departments to discuss coastal flooding and shoreline flood protection.
- Other duties/responsibility as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with a Professional Engineer designation and minimum of four years’ related experience in hydrology, hydraulics, flood management, utility planning, project management, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and application of engineering principles related to coastal flooding, climate change adaptation, hydraulics, hydrology and rainwater management
- Knowledge of Organizational Quality Management processes and frameworks
- Strong interpersonal, written communication and organizational skills, including excellent written and verbal communication and report writing
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands
- Strong conflict resolution, mediation and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
- Ability in utility design, construction and project management
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and tact
- Proficient in the use of computer design and modelling software such as ArcGIS and AutoCAD
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Application Close: April 21, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source