One of the sunniest regions in BC’s Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities – Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
As the City Solicitor, you will lead the Legal Services team and provide legal services and advice on matters associated with Delta. In this exciting leadership role, you will serve as the City’s chief legal advisor and provide guidance to City Council, the City Manager, senior management and staff on diverse legal, administrative and regulatory matters.
- Reporting to the Director of Corporate Services, the City Solicitor will:
- Oversee the Risk Management and Lands Divisions of the Legal Services team;
- Prepare and review written and verbal legal opinions to City Council, the City Manager, senior management and staff;
- Prepare and review development documents, including covenants and statutory rights of way, and attend to the registration of documents and plans in the Land Title Office;
- Draft and revise municipal bylaws;
- Make practical recommendations in respect of policies, procedures and practices across a wide range of subject areas, including corporate procurement initiatives;
- Prepare and review covenants, easements, leases and other agreements and legal documents related to transactions and relationships involving the municipality, including real estate transactions, service agreements, land acquisitions and dispositions, and purchase and sale transactions;
- Lead recruitment, retention, professional development, and succession planning for Legal Services, including unionized and exempt employees; and
- Perform other related duties.
As in all managerial roles, responsibilities will include mentoring and coaching staff to ensure ongoing learning and growth to support the success of the Legal Services team and City of Delta as a whole.
- A Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctor (JD) degree from a recognized law school;
- Current membership, in good standing, with the Law Society of British Columbia;
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible, related experience practicing law, ideally with a municipality or firm providing legal services to local government or a similar institution;
- A strong understanding of municipal law, including extensive knowledge of fundamental principles and practices related to local government legislation, municipal bylaws and policies and procedures, is desirable;
- Experience in a management or supervisory role, coupled with strong leadership skills;
- Ability to work with a complex set of stakeholders and build and maintain positive and effective relationships; and
- Exemplary interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), and problem-solving skills.
City of Delta offers a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment to competition 21-36 EX by January 31, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
City of Delta
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent,
Delta, BC V4K 3E2
View Original Source Source