Requisition ID: 31797
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Chief Risk Officer (CRO) leads the management of risk at the City of Vancouver through best practice frameworks for Enterprise Risk Management and Compliance. These frameworks include the development of policy, standards, operational plans and monitoring and reporting. The CRO will facilitate and coordinate risk management assessments across business units and maintain a risk register and corporate risk profile which is dynamic and current. The CRO coordinates with teams of business managers in diverse business areas to evaluate, analyse, manage, and mitigate risk and will encourage and foster a culture of risk management at the city. The CRO will work with Directors of Operations Management and Deputy GMs to ensure risk management practices are embedded in the day-to-day operations of each department. The CRO will facilitate the risk management oversight committee and act as the committee meeting lead in preparing meeting agendas and will be accountable to the committee for all activities relating to risk evaluation and reporting.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains and evolves a framework for enterprise risk management for the city. Defines policy, practices & risk tolerance standards for managing risk
- Facilitates the development and ongoing maintenance of a risk inventory/register which consolidates the risks identified by the various operational silos and risk functions into a comprehensive risk profile for the city
- Facilitates the development and ongoing reporting and monitoring of the City’s Compliance to statutory regulations and internal policies and controls
- Coordinates major initiatives to address Risk and Compliance issues and potential issues in the organization.
- Pulls together the variety of disciplines in the organization who have responsibility for managing risk and ensures the risk profile of existing and forecasted risk is comprehensive and complete
- Works with the “owners” of the risk to ensure there are mitigation or risk management strategies and compliance programs in place
- Provides regular review and oversight of the risk register to ensure risks are being effectively managed
- Provides expertise, guidance and management of key Issues as they arise, ensuring appropriate response and future mitigation is built into the City’s ongoing processes
- Reports on the status of the City’s risk to the risk management oversight committee and ultimately to the corporate management team
- Facilitates the quarterly risk management committee meetings; prepares agendas and committee materials and assures actions directed by the committee are completed
- Works with Operational Directors and Risk Management Committee in establishing defining and articulating a risk culture within the city. Enacts programs and training to evolve the organization toward a culture of risk management and works with staff to develop skills in risk management across the organization
- Works with the RMC to establish appropriate risk and compliance practices in the organization that align to the risk management assessments
- Participates in key city processes such as budget planning and project management to ensure risk management is embedded in those processes
- Implements a risk metric reporting structure whereby there is regular reporting on losses and incidents, key risk exposures and early warning indicators and compliance programs
- Provides general management oversight and leadership to claims management; insurance and contract management; information technology security; business continuity planning; compliance management and risk analyst.
- Monitors market best practices on ERM on an ongoing basis and adjusts the city risk management programs as necessary
- Acts as the enterprise risk management expert within the City and provides guidance and advice on risk
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or related discipline with a Certification in Risk Management programs and a minimum of ten years work experience managing in an environment where management of risk exposures was a key part of the role, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge in strategic management, risk methodologies, project management and portfolio management
- Knowledge of risk management principles and the management of risk within a complex business structure
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with all levels of staff who have risk management responsibilities
- Excellent communication (oral, written and presentation) skills necessary to effectively communicate with staff and senior executives-ability to negotiate effectively and influence others
- Strong management and administration skills with the ability to work effectively both independently and as a leader
- Discretion in good judgement
- Strong knowledge and judgement of the need to balance business practices with effective risk control principles
- Proven leadership and problem solving skills
- Ability to lead inspire and influence others
- Ability to perform complex business and technical analysis and to present them concisely and professionally
- Results oriented and innovative
- Ability to work effectively with senior directors and strength of experience and character to gain credibility and influence
- Strong understanding of institution policies, internal controls and practices as well as statutes, regulations and other compliance processes
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application close: July 11, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source