Chief Building Official
(full time, permanent)
We are looking for an energetic, results-oriented individual with great customer service and interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude to join our busy oversee plan checking and building inspections. The operating environment of the Chief Building Official is split between the Regional District office and the field, where the Chief Building Official travels throughout the Electoral Areas of the Regional District, conducting field work which includes inspecting construction to ensure that design, material, workmanship and safety features meet or exceed standards and conform to accepted plan specifications established by the BC Building Code and SLRD bylaws and regulations.
The ideal candidate will be an upbeat team player with great attention to detail who possesses:
- Certification from the Building Officials’ Association of BC – minimum Level 1.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, material, tools and equipment used in building construction, repair and alterations.
- Comprehensive understanding of the BC Building Code, which includes the ability to read and interpret building plans, recognize requirements and accept or reject plans as required.
- Knowledge of geotechnical matters as they relate to building safety.
- An understanding of the statutory duties of the Building Official pursuant to the Local Government Act.
- Ability to deal diplomatically and communicate effectively with elected officials, staff and customers, using good oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact and diplomacy in the interpretation, application and enforcement of all regulations, acts, standards, codes and bylaws.
- Ability to work independently and assume responsibility for technical decisions.
- Graduation from a post-secondary institution with a diploma in Building Technology along with related field experience, or a building trades Journeyman with experience is preferred but not essential.
- Related experience in a local government setting is preferred.
For further information, please see the full job description at www.slrd.bc.ca/employment.
Compensation will be determined commensurate with knowledge, skills and ability, includes a comprehensive benefit package and Municipal Pension Plan and offers the ability to work a compressed work week (nine-day fortnight).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume with a covering letter by email to:
Nathalie Klein, Executive Assistant
Squamish-Lillooet Regional District
Please reply by 5 PM on November 22, 2020.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates under consideration will be contacted
View Original Source Source