Casual Communications Operator #240
Closing Date: January 6, 2021
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists for a Permanent, Casual Communications
Operator with Kamloops Fire and Rescue! Under the direction of the Lead Communications Officer and supervision of a Platoon Captain and the Assistant Chief – Operations, the Communications Operator is responsible for the receipt of 911 emergency calls, fire dispatch, telephone switchboard work, clerical duties, radio operation work of a varied nature, and other duties as assigned.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Receives 911 emergency calls or requests for assistance from the public, ambulance service, the RCMP, or other agencies.
- Dispatches resources and equipment according to Kamloops Fire Rescue Services policies and procedures.
- Monitors and operates a variety of telecommunications equipment used in the Communications Centre.
- Prepares, maintains, and updates various dispatch records, forms, files, and reports related to the various fire departments or other agency operations.
- Inputs all dispatch data to a computer terminal, codes, types information and requests, and receives and relays information to the appropriate sources.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Successful completion of Grade 12 or its’ equivalent.
- Must have completed one year experience in public safety telecommunication.
- Demonstrated typing speed of 45 words per minute.
- Proficient in basic Word and basic Excel, as demonstrated through testing. 70% pass rate is required.
- Subject to an audiometric test.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check.
This position will receive 14% in lieu of all benefits, vacation, stat holidays, and health time. Note that more than one may be hired.
Hourly Rate: $25.486
Hours & Days of Work: Varied
Hours per Week: Varied
Department: City of Kamloops -> Community and Protective Services -> Kamloops Fire Rescue
Position Type: Other
Reports To: Assistant Fire Chief
Close Date: January 6, 2021
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
View Original Source Source