City of Port Alberni
Bylaw Enforcement Officer
The City of Port Alberni is a community of 17,500 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
The City is currently looking for a Bylaw Enforcement Officer to join a progressive and dynamic organization as part of the Bylaw Services team. Reporting to the Manager of Community Safety, this position is responsible for administrative, inspection and regulatory work related to the enforcement of municipal bylaws and policies.
The work of this position involves the processing and serving of documents as well as the carrying out of inspections and evidence gathering necessary in the efficient enforcement of a number of regulatory enactments. The incumbent investigates complaints from citizens, City departments, Council and other government agencies with respect to alleged infractions of the City’s bylaws and determines appropriate action to gain compliance through negotiation, ticketing, or referral to Council or Court.
Qualifications & Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of related work experience or equivalent experience as an RCMP, Provincial or Municipal Police Officer, or an equivalent combination of knowledge and experience in other investigative and enforcement fields.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Successful completion of courses related to criminology and/or investigative skills
- Knowledge of the requirements under the Offense Act and other legislation that relates to the processing, service and inspection of documents.
- Familiarity with court procedures related to the enforcement of the municipal bylaws.
- Demonstrated ability to work in various computer applications and systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (both verbal and written) skills.
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative manner with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Successful completion of a Police Information Check.
- Valid Class 5 BC driver’s license, and a demonstrated safe and responsible driving record.
This position is part of the CUPE Local 118 bargaining unit and the current rate of pay is $35.32 per hour. For additional information, including a full job description, please go to http://www.portalberni.ca/employment-opportunities.
Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by 4:30pm on January 4, 2021:
Attention: By mail: By email:
Krista Bodin, Manager of Human Resources
City of Port Alberni,
4850 Argyle Street,
Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted
View Original Source Source