Requisition ID: 23965
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary focus of this role is to support Technology Services projects by liaising with the Business and Technology Service teams to document end-to-end business processes, data dictionary and business rules. The business processes documented will take into consideration efficiency improvement, risk avoidance, compliance adherence, ease of adoption and good user experience. In addition to the functional requirements, the gathering of non-functional requirements is essential to the success of this role. The Business Analyst will collaborate with all the stakeholders to ensure the requirements are implemented as expected. This is achieved through active participation in all project phase, including: specification, implementation, configuration, quality control, documentation and post-implementation review.
The Business Analyst is expected to be familiar with the Agile methodology and is accountable for documenting the features and user stories requested by the Business and finding a solution. This requires the ability to exercise independent judgement in making decisions related to the business needs, architecture principles, technology constraints and cost at that moment.
This position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on business processes as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions and/or staffing levels.
- Working on different Technology Services projects, the Business Analyst responsibilities include:
- Project scoping, planning, requirements gathering, specification writing, process design/reengineering, test planning, implementation and documentation
- Work with the business, Technology Services resources and/or vendors, to provide analytical support and be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Support the business with documentation of current business process flows
- Support the business with the creation of business cases, TCOs (Total Cost of Ownership), features, user stories and business process diagrams
- Participate in the discovery and documentation of business scenarios driving the solution
- Write specifications, document business rules, use cases, user stories and business process diagrams to the defined standard
- Conduct impact analyses on existing the IT and business environments
- Validate and identify opportunities for improvement and align business and technology needs with the selected solution(s)
- Facilitate process review workshops using LEAN and other techniques
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders in the business and across departments to confirm requirements and process changes
- Work closely with Technology Services resources and vendors to clarify functional boundaries of systems
- Work closely with vendors to ensure configuration and any custom development continues to meet business needs
- Reports regularly on progress of deliverables to Program Manager
- Working under the direction of the Program Manager, supports the delivery of voting technology and voting processes for local government elections, by-elections and referenda in compliance with relevant legislation, statutes and by-laws.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science or a diploma in Information Technology augmented with formal training in the Business Analysis discipline
- Five (5) years’ experience as an intermediate business analyst, participating in complex enterprise scale projects, preferably in a municipal environment. The candidate must have demonstrated practice in developing and implementing enterprise-scale business applications and with software procurement processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Agile methodology in defining feature/user stories is a definite asset
- Knowledge of current business process review and re-engineering techniques, design and change management. Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyze and anticipate implications of system changes on work processes and procedures.
- Capable of handling business critical and sensitive information in a position of trust
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, while exhibiting the skills necessary to establish and maintain effective working relationships with technical and non-technical staff at various levels in the organization and with external partners
- Experience with elections and/or voting technology is a definite asset
- A high level of proficiency with technology applications is expected, as is the ability to work effectively in a timeline driven environment.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March, 2021
Application Close: February 10, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source