Requisition ID: 30014
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary focus of this role is to support the Technology Services Work Intake Discovery process by liaising with the Business Units and Technology Service teams to drive the completion of the recommended solution in an agile manner that satisfies both the Business and Technology requirements. This includes drafting a high level MVP (minimum viable product), recommending solutions, and complete the solution design prior to coordinating hand off to the PMO, Technology Services. The suitability of the solution is evaluated based on the functionality supported, the alignment with the established architecture principles and the total cost of ownership. There are also opportunities where the business analyst will continue to work on larger projects through the PMO evaluation, specification, implementation, configuration, quality control, documentation, and post-implementation review project phases, as required.
The Business Analyst is expected to be familiar with the Agile methodology and is accountable for documenting the features and user stories requested by the Business and finding a solution. This requires the ability to exercise independent judgement in making decisions related to the business needs, architecture principles, technology constraints and cost at that moment.
This position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on business processes as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
The Business Analyst’s responsibilities working within the TS Work Intake team, include:
- Work with the Business Unit to understand project scoping, planning, requirements gathering, specification writing, process design/reengineering, test planning, implementation and documentation
- Work with the Business Unit, Technology Service team and the vendor, to provide analytical support and be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Support business on the documentation of the current business process flow
- Support business on the creation of the business case, TCO (total cost of ownership), features, user stories and business process diagram
- Write specifications, document business rules, use cases, user stories and business process diagrams following the standard defined
- Conduct impact analysis on existing IT environment and business environment
- Validate and identify opportunities for improvement and align business and technology needs with the selected solution
- Facilitate process review workshops using lean and other techniques
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders in the branch and across other departments to confirm the requirements and process changes
- Work closely with Technology Services teams and vendors to clarify the system functional boundary
- Work closely with the vendor to ensure that configuration and any custom development continues to meet business needs
- Compiling select intake requests for review by approval committee(s)
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science, or a diploma in Information Technology augmented with formal training in the Business Analysis discipline or a combination of education, training and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as an intermediate business analyst, participating in complex enterprise scale projects, preferably in a municipal environment.
- The candidate must have demonstrated practice in developing and implementing enterprise-scale business applications and with software procurement processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge following the Agile methodology to define feature and user story is a definite asset
- Knowledge of current business process review and re-engineering techniques; design and change management. They must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to analyze and anticipate implications of system changes on work processes and procedures.
- Employ a high degree of discretion in this position of trust since the Business Analyst will have access to sensitive information
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, while exhibiting the skills necessary to establish and maintain effective working relationships with technical and non-technical staff
- A high level of proficiency with technology applications is expected, as is the ability to work effectively in a timeline driven environment.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Position End Date: June, 2023
Application Close: May 21, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source