Requisition ID: 29413
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is accepting applications from qualified individuals to be added to a pool of Building Workers (BW) to join our auxiliary team. This role will provide qualified candidates an opportunity to work in and across a diverse portfolio of citywide parks facilities.
Qualified candidates will be assessed on the basis of their skills, knowledge and abilities, and may be selected for an interview should they meet the qualifications and requirements of the position and a vacant opportunity exists.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Building Worker is responsible for the enhancement of civic buildings by completing janitorial duties and minor maintenance. A key part of the role requires knowledge of standard cleaning methods and the ability to learn new and effective methods to ensure the cleanliness of the facilities. Mobile janitorial services for the citywide inventory of public bathrooms and change rooms in parks. Duties include, but are not limited to: opening, stocking, cleaning, and locking facilities.
The successful candidate must be available to work mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends. Operations are 7 days a week. Shifts typically could run from 5:00 am to 10:00 pm but are subject to change based on operational requirements.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a certification program in Building Services Work and some related experience.
- Experience performing a variety of routine manual tasks in care, cleaning and general maintenance of buildings.
- Experience operating and using janitorial tools, equipment and supplies.
- Valid BC Driver’s License is required.
- WHMIS is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of materials, methods, safety practices and simple equipment used in janitorial and maintenance work.
- Ability to arrange an effective work schedule under minimum direct instruction.
- Good health and strength sufficient to perform a variety of routine manual tasks in care, cleaning and general maintenance of buildings.
- Skill in the use of heavy cleaning equipment.
Driver License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record
- An Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
All applicants MUST attach a copy of their Building Services Work certification and any other relevant documents to their application.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
Application Close: April 30, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source