City of Merritt
Merritt is a small and vibrant City, nestled in the beautiful Nicola Valley. The moderate climate, central location and welcoming community make Merritt a great place to live, work and play.
The City of Merritt’s strategic orientation is to pursue growth as a progressive, attractive, economically viable City that is socially responsible and environmentally sustainable. Our dedicated people work to achieve these goals, guided by our values of respect, collaboration, integrity, service and stewardship.
The Building Official is integral to the Planning and Development Services team and the future growth and development of the City of Merritt. This role is ideal for a creative thinker who integrates their knowledge to develop innovative approaches to challenges.
As the Building Official, you will be responsible for inspecting plans and drawings pertaining to the development, construction, and renovation of projects. You will review building and plumbing permit applications and issue licences and permits. You will liaise with builders and other stakeholders and conduct on-site inspections of business and residential premises.
With your extensive knowledge and understanding of the provincial and local building regulatory environment, the construction industry, business practices and industry trends, you will provide insight, advice and technical information to diverse stakeholders including other City departments, contractors, developers, property owners, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, elected officials and the general public.
- A Level 3 B.C. Building Inspection Certification from the Building Officials Association of British Columbia (BOABC) is preferred but if you have your level 2 or 3 Certification, we encourage you to apply as well; a mentorship opportunity may be available.
- Membership in the Building Officials Association of BC (or eligible for membership).
- A BC Plumbing Inspector Level 1 Certificate is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the broader team.
- Ability to check and interpret complex plans and specifications, compare with construction in progress, suggest and enforce changes or corrections required with firmness, impartiality and sound judgment.
- Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Physical ability to undertake frequent site inspections including crawling through attics and crawlspaces, climbing ladders and work in all weather conditions.
- A valid BC Driver’s licence and satisfactory police information check will also be required.
A valid BC Driver’s licence and satisfactory police information check will be required from the successful candidate.
If your previous experience has prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
Applications will be accepted on our website at www.merritt.ca. This position will be posted until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply today @ Merritt.ca
View Original Source Source