Full-Time, Benefited Position
35 Hours per week
The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK), is accepting applications for the position of Building Manager based out of our office in Nelson BC.
Reporting to the General Manager of Development and Community Sustainability Services, the Building Manager is the lead Building Official responsible for the administration of the Building Bylaw and the BC Building Code across the Regional District.
The Building Manager manages the daily operation of Building Inspection Services, by providing supervision and leadership to the Building Officials and support staff located in three offices. They participate in departmental planning, including formulating yearly budgets, and mediate disputes with stakeholders to resolve building and personnel related issues.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Expert knowledge in, and demonstrated ability to apply BC Building, Plumbing and Fire Codes, Local Government Bylaws and Procedures, Provincial Statutes and Enactments relevant to building construction & property development
- Post-Secondary diploma in Building Sciences or similar
- Qualification as a registered architect, P.Eng or Trade certification
- 3-5 years leadership experience
- 7 years of related experience with preference working in rural regional district or municipal building inspection
- An acceptable combination of qualifications & experience may be considered
- Preference may be given to candidates with: Level 3 Certification with BOABC (or eligibility to attain) and Level 1 Certification with the Plumbers Inspectors Association (or eligibility to attain)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Understanding of the statutory duties of a Building Official
- Considerable knowledge of the BC Building Code and related legislation & the BC regulatory system
- Demonstrated & proven commitment to the BOABC’s Code of Ethics
- Professional written & verbal communication skills with demonstrated report writing skills
- Ability to effectively lead, train and mentor staff
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to work with stakeholders in a diplomatic & courteous manner
This posting, along with a detailed job description outlining the complete required qualifications and the variety of roles and responsibilities included in this role, can be found on our website at www.rdck.ca /jobs.
Join us in Nelson!
This exciting opportunity is based in the beautiful city of Nelson BC, a world-class recreational playground with all the comforts of today’s amenities and lots of exciting things to do and see year round. Nelson and its surrounding rural communities offer all the benefits of small town living, boast strong and diverse economies and thriving business sectors, have convenient access to parks, great schools and heath care services, and are located just a few hours away from major city centres. Locals enjoy a wide range of recreational opportunities including ,skiing, hiking, and biking, as well as access to multiple special interest groups, theatre, music, arts and, of course, exceptional recreational facilities!
About working for the RDCK:
The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) is a local government that serves an estimated population of 60,000 residents. The RDCK provides rural residents with an effective form of local government and ensures that all residents have access to commonly needed services, no matter where they live.
Employees at the RDCK have the opportunity to be a part of a great team of people and work for an organization that they can be proud of. The successful applicant will be offered a competitive benefits package which includes extended health and dental benefits and enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan.
Applications submitted in the form of a resume and cover letter will be accepted by email until 9:00am Tuesday October 13, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in working with the Regional District of Central Kootenay. All submissions will be acknowledged although only those individuals shortlisted to participate in the interview/testing process will be contacted. This posting may be used to fill other similar positions within the RDCK over the next six months.
View Original Source Source