Building Maintenance Worker – Library
Requisition ID: 24181
Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce that represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Vancouver Public Library is accepting resumes for Building Maintenance Workers to work on-call at a variety of our branch locations. You will be responsible for cleaning as well as performing minor maintenance and repair duties at our branch facilities including: washing toilets and hand basins; dusting; sweeping, mopping, waxing and polishing floors; vacuuming; basic plumbing; minor carpentry and repair work; painting and touch-up work; and maintaining outside grounds.
- A valid BC Driver’s licence
- Building Service Worker certificate
- Considerable related experience in maintenance work
- Experience using a variety of hand and power-operated tools
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the materials, methods and equipment used in painting, plumbing, minor carpentry and general building maintenance and repair, janitorial and gardening work
- Ability to maintain satisfactory public and staff relationships and provide good customer service
- Strength and agility to climb ladders and work on scaffolding, on rooftops, or in cramped and awkward positions
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs frequently; ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally for short distances
- Working knowledge of occupational hazards and precautionary measures
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Familiarity with computer applications such as email
- Ability to understand oral and written instruction and effectively carry them out
Affiliation: CUPE 391
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Salary: $24.09 to $28.23 per hour plus 12% in lieu of benefits.
Shift schedule: Shifts are from 4am-noon and may occur Monday through Sunday. Applicants must be available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, including Sundays and Tuesdays. Please ensure your application specifies your availability for shifts.
Work schedules may change with reasonable notice.
Closing date: Monday, December 28, 2020, at 11:59pm
While the library thanks you in advance, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
We thank all applicants for their interest. The applicant must be prepared to work at any location in the system. A Police Record Check is a condition of employment. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Vancouver Public Library is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to further diversifying the library.
View Original Source Source