City of Merritt
Building Inspector III
Merritt is a vibrant and rapidly changing city, nestled in the beautif ul Nicola Valley. The moderate climate, central location and welcoming community make Merritt a great place to live, work and play.
The City of Merritt’s strategic orientation is to pursue growth as a progressive, attractive, economically viable City that is socially responsible and environmentally sustainable. Our Planning and Development Services team actively works with developers and residents towards making our mission and the community’s vision come to lif e. Learn more at: https://www.merritt.ca/development-services/.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Building Inspector to join the City of Merritt’s Planning and Development Services team. As an integral part of the team, reporting directly to the Manager of Planning and Development Services, you will be responsible for inspecting plans and drawings pertaining to the development, construction, and renovation of projects. In addition to conducting on-site inspections of business and residential premises, you will review building and plumbing permit applications for approval, and issue licenses and permits.
As a Building Inspector, you will use your extensive knowledge and understanding of the provincial and local building regulatory environment, the construction industry, business practices and industry trends to provide insight, advice and technical information to diverse stakeholders including other City departments, contractors, developers, property owners, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, elected officials and the general public.
This role is ideal for a creative thinker who integrates their knowledge to develop innovative approaches to challenges.
- Level III B.C. Building Inspection Certification f rom the Building Officials Association of British Columbia (BOABC). Level II Certification with the ability to obtain a Level III Certification may be considered.
- BC Plumbing Inspector Level 1 Certificate.
- Eligible for membership of the Building Officials Association of BC (RBO or RBI designation).
- Considerable building and plumbing inspection experience for a local government.
- Working knowledge of the BC Building and Plumbing Codes, local government statutes such as the BC Building Act, Local Government Act, Community Charter, regulations and bylaws, building construction standards, regulations, methods, materials, equipment and technologies, soils, plumbing systems and sign construction.
- Knowledge of structural, civil, geotechnical, mechanical, and electrical engineering pursuant to the BC Building Code.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the broader team.
- Ability to check and interpret complex plans and specifications, compare with construction in progress, suggest and enforce changes or corrections required with firmness, impartiality and sound judgment.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Physical ability to undertake frequent site inspections including crawling through attics and crawlspaces, climbing ladders and work in all weather conditions.
Employment is subject to satisfactory police information check and a valid Class 5 Driver’s license.
This position is within the union bargaining unit with a wage rate of $40.33 – 41.83 per hour (2020 rates), based on a 40-hour work week. If your previous experience has prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply!
Applications will be accepted through our website at https://www.merritt.ca/employment/. This position will be posted until filled; for full consideration, please apply by January 4, 2021. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply today @ Merritt.ca
View Original Source Source