Requisition ID: 31807
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This position is responsible for enhancing the quality of inspectional and regulatory work performed within Building Inspections Branch by ensuring adherence to the Vancouver Building Bylaw, consistency in applying procedures, completing research or special projects, making recommendations on policy and procedures, and developing and delivering training. This position also performs field inspections and provides guidance and assistance to inspection staff, such as accompanying inspectors on difficult and complex inspections.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides mentorship and instruction to Inspectors and new staff to ensure they understand and are competent in department policies, procedures. and regulations.
- Monitors adherence to standards and procedures and recommends skill or knowledge training where necessary.
- Develops and deliver technical workshops, training and seminars; arranges external training courses and seminars related to inspections work.
- Accompany inspectors on difficult and complex inspections.
- Perform the work of a District Building Inspector as required.
- Maintains branch records with respect to Inspectors’ trades certifications, training and skill sets.
- Perform quarterly skill set analysis for the Building Inspectors; identifies gaps and makes recommendations to supervisors.
- Maintain branch resource library. Assembles technical and regulatory information
- Reviews manufacturers’ products for conformance to City standards and regulations.
- Liaise with various professional bodies, educational institutes and City departments on inspections related matters.
- Represent the branch in speaking engagements, workshops, panels or other events.
- Make recommendations on changes to regulations and assist a superior in developing policies and procedures relating to building inspections.
- Prepare draft reports and bulletins related to by-law changes, departmental directives, procedural changes and technical updates, such as enhancement requests for POSSE.
- Research products, methodologies, codes or bylaws and recommend changes for best practice.
- Coordinates with the Electrical Inspector II and Plumbing & Gas Inspector II to develop training curriculum, processes and procedures
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Building Technology from recognized institute such as BCIT or equivalent combination of skills, knowledge and ability.
- Successful completion of the Part 9, Part 3 and VBBL courses from a recognized institute such as BCIT.
- Minimum of ten (10) years in the construction industry with considerable experience in building inspections and supervising staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices related to the building inspectional field.
- Thorough knowledge of the City of Vancouver Building By-law (VBBL), Safety Standards Act, Safety Standards General Regulation.
- Thorough knowledge of departmental regulations and procedures for by-law enforcement related to the work.
- Thorough knowledge of standard methods, practices, and approved materials, appliances, equipment used in the building trade’s field.
- Ability to perform all the duties of a District Building Inspector.
- Ability to develop and deliver specialized technical workshops, seminars.
- Ability to work with individual inspectors in upgrading specific skills and knowledge related to the work.
- Ability to assess the inspection staff skills related to the application of department standards, procedures and practices.
- Ability to establish satisfactory working relationships with staff, contractors, developers, tradespeople and owners, and to provide advice on problems and issues.
- Proven ability to coach and mentor staff
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to enforce by-laws and regulations with firmness, impartiality and good judgement.
- Ability to read and understand plans and to recognize the technical requirements as regards to specific types of installations, and to suggest desirable changes when necessary.
- Ability to identify and document improvements, and prepare articulated enhancement requests for the inspection system.
- Ability to maintain manual and computer records, to prepare a variety of reports and to review reports submitted by subordinates.
- Ability to fill in for the Supervisor(s) of Building Inspections as required.
A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $46.64 to $55.15 per hour
Application Close: July 30, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source