Requisition ID: 31993
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Reporting to the Manager of the Building Permit Review Branch, the Building Code Specialist reviews the most complex, and supervises staff who review moderately complex, building permit application plans and specifications for residential, commercial and industrial developments for compliance with the Building By-law, Fire By-law and other related City by-laws and guidelines.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Building Code Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Assists design professionals, developers, contractors, builders and the general public with general enquiries and project development, primarily through the City’s Certified Professional Program
- Provides technical information, assistance and direction to other City staff and customers
- Performs detailed technical analysis of fire safety equivalents and life safety proposals; coordinates project workflow and review through other City departments
- Maintains accurate records for plan review status and work performed
- Holds meetings with design professionals, consultants, contractors and developers regarding interpretation of by-laws, codes and guidelines
- Conducts occasional reviews and examination of buildings in the field
- Supervises and supports 2-3 technical staff in their work of reviewing moderately complex building permit applications
Education and Experience:
- University graduation with an Engineering or Architecture degree, with registration or eligibility as a registered professional (P.Eng. or Architect AIBC) in the Province of British Columbia
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Certified Professional (CP) designation
- Preference will be given to candidates with considerable experience in plans examination, fire protection engineering, mechanical engineering, field review of life safety systems and/or building technology
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience and knowledge of building design and construction
- Strong familiarity with building materials and construction practices is required
- Project management of multi-disciplinary projects
- Supervisory or management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to deal with the public in person or over the telephone
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2021
Position End Date: December, 2022
Posting Close Date: August 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source