Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver School Board welcomes applications for:
Under the general direction of the teacher responsible for the Culinary Arts Program, you will plan, demonstrate techniques, and supervise students and apprentices in the preparation of a variety of baked goods and yeast products according to daily menu requirements. Under the direction of the Supervisor of Food Services, you will plan and produce the required food for the school nutrition program in collaboration with the Cook and kitchen support staff.
In this role, you will:
• Ensure that there is proper safety and sanitation in the handling of food and equipment.
• Assist with the planning of menus and recipe development.
• Assist in the evaluation of students and provide feedback to the teacher.
• Place orders for supplies, including determining the quantity and timing of delivery of perishables.
• Supervise the activities in the main kitchen during lunch to ensure that portion size guidelines are followed.
• Clean and supervise the cleaning and sanitizing of kitchen equipment.
• Clean walk-in coolers and freezers.
• Maintain kitchen utensils and equipment in good working order.
• Assist in meal service to students during lunch and as required.
• Perform other related duties as required.
In addition to baker positions, you may also elect to be called for other positions in food services:
Food Service Worker Cafeteria Teacher’s Aide 1 Baker Red Seal Baker Plus 14% in lieu of all benefits and statutory holidays
$21.09 $25.46 $25.87 $29.03
Staff must be available to work Monday to Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and be available on a consistent basis as our on-call list is very busy.
• Completion of Grade 12
• Certificate from an accredited baking course (eg. Vancouver Community College, Vancouver Island University, Dubrelle Culinary Institute, Pacific Culinary Institute) or British Columbia Trades Qualification Certificate for Baking (T.Q.) or an Apprenticeship Completion Certificate with a Red Seal
• Valid Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
• Extensive commercial baking experience required with experience in collaborating with a kitchen team under general direction from a Supervisor.
• Candidates with baking and menu planning experience preferred
• Completion of an instructor’s program in baking is an asset
Your application must include:
• Cover letter
• Three reference names (must be supervisors). Include email addresses and telephone numbers.
**This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Please note, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.**
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
Please apply at https://bit.ly/3gzpD9N.
The VBE has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VBE seeks to preferentially hire Aboriginal persons to a variety of positions. Therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether they self-id
View Original Source Source