Requisition ID: 29214
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Director of Business and Election Services, as a member of the Council Support team, the Assistant to Councillors plays a key role in providing confidential and complex administrative support to assigned Council members so that Councillors are able to focus on their duties and responsibilities as members of Council. The incumbent will also work directly with City Clerk’s Office staff, the Mayor’s Office, elected officials, City staff from all Service Groups, Civic Agency members and members of the general public.
Specific Duties or Responsibilities
This position is responsible for providing a range of complex administrative services to their assigned members of Council including:
- providing confidential and complex secretarial services;
- preparing members’ motions for submission;
- ensuring that Councillors have access to appropriate information;
- preparing responses to incoming correspondences;
- handling and resolving enquiries and complaints from the public and/or media for the Councillors;
- conducting minor research;
- managing multiple calendars;
- arranging travel; and
- tracking and reconciling Councillors’ expenses.
Ability to manage time effectively and efficiently is crucial. The work requires the use of tact, discretion, confidentiality and considerable independence of judgment and action to be exercised within established policy and guidelines. Accuracy and attention to detail are also essential.
On a daily basis, this position successfully balances the individual and competing requests for support from multiple Councillors.
The Assistant will work closely with other Councillors’ Assistants as a member of the Council Support team, and will maintain liaisons with all members of Council including the Mayor, staff in the Mayor’s Office and the City Manager’s Office, both frontline and senior City staff, and external parties such as the media, the public, and other government organizations.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by business/secretarial courses with at least three years of relevant experience in a similar position (e.g., executive assistant capacity), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of local government and the role of the Mayor and Council, the City’s organizational structure, and function of the City’s departments, pertinent by-laws and policies, and records management practices;
- Demonstrated ability to:
- effectively and efficiently work for multiple officials;
- build and maintain effective working relationships;
- manage the correspondence of a senior or elected official;
- handle a variety of complex situations, including enquiries and complaints received by phone, in person, or written correspondence from the public and media using tact and diplomacy with minimal supervision;
- manage multiple electronic calendars, ensuring that all information is accurate and up to date, and reflects all relevant background information pertaining to the scheduled event;
- arrange and coordinate meetings of various sizes and complexity involving both internal and external parties;
- work effectively and respectfully as a team member;
- work calmly and effectively under pressure, while exercising tact, diplomacy, and excellent judgment; and
- research issues by locating, compiling, and summarizing relevant information;
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications at an intermediate level is required;
- Ability to prioritize work efficiently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Proven team member skills;
- Excellent written and verbal skills with a thorough knowledge of business English including sentence structure, grammar and punctuation;
- Accounting experience is preferred; and
- Performs other work as required.
Business Unit/Department: City Clerk’s Office (1060)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-019: $29.74 to $34.98 per hour
Application Close: May 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source