Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Assistant Program Coordinator – Group Fitness
Parks and Recreation
Auxiliary (up to 9 month assignment)
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
Up to 28 hours per week*
$28.54 – $33.60/hr (2019 rate) + 12% in lieu of all benefits & vacation
The Parks and Recreation Department is seeking an energetic, dynamic and organized Assistant Program Coordinator – Group Fitness to join the Health and Wellness Team. The position reports to and works in collaboration with the Program Coordinator – Health and Wellness. The primary responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in planning, developing, organizing, implementing, evaluating and promotion of programs and services.
- Providing direction, guidance and mentoring to staff and volunteers; provides input into evaluations; may participate in recruitment; assists with training, orientation, scheduling and shift coverage; provides input on and monitors the performance of contractors.
- Providing leadership and instruction for various group fitness programs and activities.
- The operation and security of a recreation facility on assigned shifts and/or in the absence of a supervisor.
- Setting up rooms for fitness programs and performs routine maintenance in support of programs and services.
- Enforces rules, regulations and policies and deals firmly, consistently and tactfully with groups or individuals that fail to observe these.
- Resolves public service complaints in accordance with the established procedures, and refers difficult or unusual situations to a supervisor.
- Prepares and maintains equipment and supply inventory records; assists with monitoring program budgets; drafts promotional material for review and approval by a supervisor; drafts a variety of reports and maintains records related to the work.
- Performs general office assistance such as responding to telephone inquiries and taking registrations.
If you have the following qualifications and attributes, we want to hear from you!
- Completion of a two year post-secondary recreation, physical education, or Kinesiology program, supplemented by recreational experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience deemed suitable by the employer may be considered.
- BCRPA Supervisor of Fitness Leaders (SFL) or equivalent.
- Additional Registration/Certification in Specialty Modules such as Group Fitness, Aquatic Fitness, Yoga Fitness, Weight Training, etc. would be an asset.
- Valid BC driver’s license.
- Valid Standard First Aid/OFA 1 and CPR-C Certification.
- Sound knowledge of the principles, practices and objectives of community recreation.
- Sound knowledge of assigned program area.
- Sound knowledge of teaching methods and group leadership techniques as they related to the work performed.
- Working knowledge of applicable requirements, policies, regulations and standards governing the work performed.
- Ability to exercise initiative and judgement in assisting in the planning, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of programs and events.
- Ability to provide direction, guidance, orientation, training and mentoring to staff and volunteers, to provide input into evaluations and to participate in recruitment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff members and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Proficiency in the use of various software applications including Microsoft Office Suite and Perfect Mind software.
- The successful applicant must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*This position works a flexible schedule and non-standard hours, including evenings and weekends. Hours per week may be increased when operationally required.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-92, by December 18, 2020 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527 4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada
View Original Source Source