Assistant Manager, Operations
Posted November 20, 2020
A truly active and beautiful place to work, the City of Fernie offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, municipal pension plan, and opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The City of Fernie is inviting applications for the position of Assistant Manager, Operations within the Operations Services department. This is a full-time, benefitted position.
As the successful applicant you are a self-directed and motivated individual with experience in coordinating the work of multiple professionals and a demonstrated ability to build strong trust-based relationship to support that work.
You have a strong knowledge of maintenance-related construction, materials use and, ideally, the ability to operate heavy equipment such as a backhoe, front end loader, large dump trucks and other related tools and equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Manager of Streets and Utilities, you are responsible for assigning day-to-day tasks to the team, ensuring that tasks are completed correctly and efficiently, and for providing and/or facilitating on-the-job training and instruction for operators.
This role supports the Manager in planning, organizing, and assigning daily work assignments and will supervise work in categories such as but not limited to; asphalt repair and maintenance, traffic control, litter collection, street sweeping, snow and ice response, as well as directing the work of truck drivers and equipment operators, and external contractors as needed.
You will monitor maintenance work progress, interact on personnel issues including discipline, and on occasion will participate as a working member of the team for training purposes.
A thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, procedures and materials, tools and equipment used in street maintenance and construction operations is required, as is experience ensuring performance standards, specifications and safety procedures are met and followed.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- The Assistant Manager, Operations is responsible for supporting the Manager in developing plans for and then assigning and overseeing work related to the routine maintenance, upkeep and repairs of sidewalks, streets, streetlights, asphalt repairs, snow removal, signage, drainage issues, dikes, and other related infrastructure work/maintenance.
- Assist the Manager of Streets and Utilities in preparing seasonal work planning and execution; plowing operations, hydrant clearing, snow dump maintenance, sweeping schedule, catch basin cleaning, dike inspection/repairs, street light audits, garbage collection, tree maintenance, sidewalk repairs/replacement, street closures(events) and other typical city tasks as assigned.
- This position will be required to make calls related to snow clearing and other seasonal activity, requiring strong judgement and the ability to dispatch employees potentially after-hours and on weekends and will be compensated in accordance with policy for exempt employees.
- Review prioritize and coordinate equipment and vehicle maintenance and repairs with mechanic and departments.
- Coordination with the Water and Wastewater departments for resources.
- Assist the Manager of Streets and Utilities in preparing a strategic plan for operational activities that will ensure the streets are maintained as efficiently and effectively as possible within approved staffing and budget constraints.
- Coordinate and assist operators and contractors in the operation, repair, and maintenance of the street and related infrastructure.
- Prepare comprehensive work plans and written schedules for inspection and maintenance.
- Develop and implement standard operating and safe work procedures for all work, in coordination with the Safety Management System Resource.
- Ensure all work is performed in compliance with WorkSafe BC procedures, arrange safety training for operators for all tasks assigned to them, and conduct hazard assessments as required by WorkSafe BC. Lead daily toolbox meetings.
- Ensure that processes follow local permits and Provincial and Federal regulations.
- Advise in maintaining inventory of supplies to support standard operations and plan and create requisitions when needed (i.e. line paint, cold mix, dust control materials, streetlight bulbs, signage, post material, winter sand, salt, seed, crush, edges for plowing and similar materials).
- Monitor and report on system functions. Complete records of work performed by crews and report to the Manager summarizing the work completed as requested.
- Perform other operational duties as required by the Manager of Streets and Utilities.
- Coordinate assistance for other departments from time to time when seasonal weather events require additional staffing to meet service levels.
- Assist the Manager of Streets and Utilities in planning and scheduling training for the crew and provide training where required.
- Conduct annual performance reviews of the crew.
- Attend training as required by the employer.
- Communicate with the general public and potential contractors or businesses in the community while representing the City.
The above description reflects the general duties to describe the principal functions required for the job and will not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Employees may perform other related duties and tasks as required to meet the needs of the City.
- Grade 12 and a technical credential related to construction, operations, or business.
- British Columbia Class 5 License
- Proficient computer skills (Outlook, Word and Excel, ability to learn to input and receive information from web-based applications)
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience, ideally in a unionized environment
The following would be considered an asset but are not required:
- Experience and knowledge in street and utility construction and maintenance, civil engineering principals, terminology, practices and techniques
- Knowledge of Heavy Equipment and its operation (Grader, Loader, Tandem)
- Knowledge of snow clearing / plowing practices and principles
- Developing teams and individuals
- Holding People Accountable
Solutions and outcome-based outlook
- Problem solving in a dynamic environment
- Organized and detail orientated
Supporting Organizational excellence
- Managing Organizational Resources
- Planning, Organizing & Coordinating
The successful applicant will be required to work in an outdoor and office environment.
The City of Fernie offers competitive benefits, flex time and a competitive salary dependent on the applicants experience and abilities.
Detailed applications containing cover letter, resume and references should be submitted by 4:00 P.M., Friday, December 18, 2020 referencing the Assistant Manager, Operations posting, by email to:
Dustin Haeusler, Manager of Streets and Utilities,
City of Fernie
501 – 3rd Ave, PO Box 190,
Fernie, BC, V0B 1M0
Not all applicants will receive a response.
View Original Source Source