Requisition ID: 25920
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Vancouver Fire Rescue Services invites interested, qualified candidates to apply for the position of Assistant Chief Training & Professional Development. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the responsibilities of the position include the planning, organizing, directing, managing and coordinating all Departmental training, educational and professional development activities.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Operations, the successful candidate will manage all aspects of the VFRS Training Division. The Assistant Chief Training is also expected to be actively involved in the resolution of labour relations issues in accordance with the collective agreement and will implement measures including corrective action and progressive discipline as required. You may be called upon to represent the Department throughout the grievance process, arbitrations, labour management meetings and participate in hiring processes and promotional interviews.
The role demands broad latitude of independent thinking and action within the framework of established policy and practice. The successful candidate will exercise considerable judgment in managing the organizations overall training plan/programs, meeting strategic objectives and supervising staff. As a member of the Exempt Leadership Team, this position manages complex projects in consultation with other City of Vancouver business units, stakeholders, other fire departments, partner agencies, and the private sector.
- Ability to plan, direct, coordinate, assign and review the work of a team of professional and technical staff including senior operational staff utilizing effective leadership and mentoring skills.
- Ability to lead multi-disciplinary project management teams involving aggressive schedules, deadlines and budgeting.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively work with Department staff, City of Vancouver staff, outside agencies and the media.
- Ability to make public presentations
- Ability to prepare clear and concise technical and policy reports for presentation to senior City staff.
- Ability to engage in facilitation, negotiation and conflict resolution with professionals, City staff and other government agencies and municipalities.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated abilities to lead change management programs
- Experience in the fire service at a supervisor/management level.
- Strong knowledge and ability in using TeleStaff, FDM, Target Solutions and MS Office applications.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in a municipal fire service, at a senior level with combined operations, training and administration experience.
- Successful completion of the Fire Officer 2 program or equivalency.
- Post-secondary education in a related field and/or management courses
- Relevant training, courses, conferences, seminars or forums
Business Unit/Department: Training & Professional Development/Vancouver Fire Rescue Services
Employment Type: Regulart Full Time (RFT)
Date of Closing: February 5th 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source