City of Merritt
Arena Attendant III
Merritt is a small and vibrant City, nestled in the beautiful Nicola Valley. The moderate climate, central location and welcoming community make Merritt a great place to live, work and play.
The City of Merritt’s strategic orientation is to pursue growth as a progressive, attractive, economically viable City that is socially responsible and environmentally sustainable. Our dedicated people work to achieve these goals, guided by our values of respect, collaboration, integrity, service and stewardship.
The City of Merritt Recreation and Facilities Department is currently inviting applications for a casual Arena Attendant III. Arena Attendants perform a variety of tasks to ensure the provision of quality services to the community by maintaining all aspects of the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena and building, which are operated by the City of Merritt. This role is ideal for a knowledgeable individual who demonstrates outstanding customer service, teamwork, laboring skills, work ethic and attention to safety.
As an Arena Attendant III, you will make, monitor, and maintain ice surfaces, carry out ice and floor maintenance for a variety of floor surfaces including but not limited to washing and waxing of floors. You will sharpen skates, handle cash, and provide welcoming customer service to patrons and user groups and monitor for compliance with arena rules and regulations. Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will record readings in the ammonia plant and to initiate safety procedures as required.
Arena attendants maintain the arena with pride and ensure the highest level of cleanliness, carrying out all cleaning duties as required including cleaning glass, dust, clean and disinfecting all surfaces including but not limited to concession areas, washrooms and changerooms, and clearing snow from the building, as well as removing debris and refuse. You will also perform inspections of and minor repairs and maintenance on equipment and machinery and handyperson work on the building, as required.
- Certificate of Qualification for Refrigeration Operator (RO) or higher
- Membership in Recreation Facilities Association of BC (RFABC) and BC Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA) or be eligible for membership
- Arena Ice Maker’s Certificate and/ or Building Service Worker certificate or equivalent training and experience are assets.
- Supplemental training and experience in Zamboni and ice maintenance, manlift/ scissor Lift operation are preferred
- Certification in Occupational First Aid (OFA) Level 1 or equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively when dealing with the public and in a team environment
- A safety-first attitude and working knowledge of relevant safe work practices including ammonia safety.
- Ability to execute tasks efficiently, resolve issues with good judgement, report back on issues and outcomes
- Background experience and technical skills in ice making and resurfacing, refrigeration and grounds’ keeping.
- This work involves frequent lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling, emptying and transporting garbage and recycling, and shoveling snow. Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination are required.
The successful applicant will be required to submit a valid class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory Police Information Check with vulnerable sector check.
The successful candidate must be available to work irregular hours including early mornings, weekdays, evenings, and weekends. Casual employees are scheduled on an as-needed basis to relieve employees who are on leave, or during peak work periods for overload situations; there are no regularly scheduled hours or guarantee of hours.
This position within the union bargaining unit with a wage rate of $34.41 per hour (2020 rates).
If your previous experience has prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. To submit your application, visit the City of Merritt website at https://www.merritt.ca/employment/. This position will be posted until filled; for full consideration, please apply before 4:30pm on December 24, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply today @ Merritt.ca
View Original Source Source