Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
STATUS: Full Time
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 7:00 am – 4:00 pm*
SALARY: $34.67 per hour + comprehensive benefits package
In this exciting opportunity, the Arborist 1 will be working with a dynamic arboriculture team involved in the planning and coordinating arboricultural initiatives related to New Westminster’s award winning Urban Forest Management Strategy (UFMS) to achieve an ambitious canopy cover target of 27% by 2030.Under the direction of the Senior Arborist, you will be responsible for carrying out skilled arboricultural work of considerable variety. Your work will include planting, cultivation, pruning and removing trees; pest and disease control; climbing trees of considerable height to either prune or perform tree removal; and operating a bucket truck. Under the leadership of the Senior Arborist, you will also participate in the creation and presentation of public information workshops related tree care issues.
If you have the following characteristics and attributes, we want to meet you!
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by formal training and/or completion of an arboricultural apprenticeship as well as a minimum of three years of experience in a wide variety of arboricultural work as a tree worker or utility arborist is required.
- Completion of the Qualified Tree Risk Assessor course as well as ISA certification as an Arborist, Tree Worker/Climber, and or Utility Specialist is required
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license with air brake endorsement. Preference may be given to candidates who hold a valid Class 3 BC driver’s license and air brake endorsement.
- Completion of additional post-secondary education in arboriculture, landscape technology or related field would be an asset.
- ITA Climbing Arborist or Arborist Technician certification would be an asset.
- Valid BC Pesticide Applicator’s License would be an asset.
- Proficiency in safe tree climbing techniques (MRS and/or SRS) and aerial lift operation.
- Ability to prune trees in an appropriate and aesthetically pleasing manner following ISA Best Management Practices.
- Able to carry out written and verbal instructions from a supervisor with minimal supervision.
- Ability to respond courteously and effectively to basic questions, concerns and requests from the public, other City departments and various agencies with regard to arboricultural matters.
- Knowledge and experience relating to the methods, materials, tools, equipment and practices used in planting, pruning, removing, relocating, and climbing trees.
- Knowledge of tree biology, species, varieties, and related growth and cultural requirements for healthy specimens.
- Ability to assist the Tree Protection and Regulation Bylaw Administration program in routine site inspections and bylaw compliance investigation matters.
- Ability to assist in the monitoring and identification of tree pests, diseases, problems and potential hazards.
- Ability carry out written and verbal instructions from a supervisor with minimal supervision and to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
* This position this eligible to participate in a Compressed Work Week Program.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #21-13, by January 29, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e- mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View Original Source Source