Requisition ID: 23913
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager of Administration provides oversight, leadership and direction to four work groups:
- Traffic, Electrical Operations & Design Branch Administration
- Manitoba Yard Time Entry and Payables
- National Yard Afterhours Dispatch (24/7)
- City Hall Print Shop and Mail Room
The position ensures continual improvement of work processes, as well as contingency and succession planning. Additionally, the position serves as a management contact for the National Works Yard. Reporting to the Superintendent II of Traffic Operations and Administration, the Administration Manager directly manages four supervisors and approximately 45 employees. The position also liaises with various City departments and external organizations. This position plays a key role in the Engineering DOC and ensures administration staff are trained and able to execute all duties related to storm and DOC activations.
The Administration Manager plays a key role in preparing the annual operating budget. The position is responsible to monitor the cost center budget and takes a leading role in monitoring the branch’s overall operating budget with the assistance from team leads. The position will ensure monthly reports, DOC documents and personal files are updated regularly.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts Performance planning and management, aligning work plans with corporate and branch goals
- Provides coaching and support to the unionized supervisory team, ensuring they are effectively leading their work groups
- Management representative for labour relations and human resource (HR) matters related to the work group
- Other management functions such as recruitment and attendance management
Traffic, Electrical Operations & Design Branch Administration:
- Oversees the administrative team responsible for Traffic & Electrical work orders, and updating of asset information
- Ensures quality control and system effectiveness; implements changes to improve systems
Time Entry and Payables:
- Ensures compliance with City policies and procedures for payroll time entry, and accounts payables for 6 different Branches
- Ensures large work volumes are completed within tight timelines and with a high degree of accuracy
Daytime and After-Hours Emergency Dispatch:
- Manages the 24-7 operation of National Yard Dispatch
- Ensures staff are fully trained to perform work in a safe and effective manner
- Leads review of security/CCTV systems, as required
- Oversees budget expenditure and recoveries, ensuring targets are met
- Ensures the work of the Print Shop, including the City’s Mail Room, is carried out in a safe and effective manner
Education and Experience:
- Completion of related technical, business and/or administrative degree/diploma
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience working in business administration and management roles
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in supervising and leading staff
- Experience in labour relations in a unionized environment strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills
- Effective leadership skills including goal setting, coaching, developing, as well as experience in conflict resolution and team building
- Ability to work collaboratively and proactively to problem solve with stakeholders across the branch and in other City departments
- Analytical skills and experience in utilizing metrics.
- Experience in developing continual improvement processes.
- Experience using SAP or other Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software required
- Advanced computer skills are an asset; in particular, Windows-based business applications such as MS Office, SAP and Hansen
- A current and valid BC driver’s license is an asset
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2021
Application Close: January 3, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source