Requisition ID: 13258
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position is responsible for analytical and advisory work in the Water and Sewer Divisions, Neighbourhood Energy Utility, Kent Yard and Landfill/Transfer Station Engineering Services Department. The incumbent works independently reporting to the SCADA Technical Supervisor on SCADA related projects of small to large complexity, cost and duration.
The work hours will be from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday and will be based at the Manitoba Works Yard.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The position will oversee aspects related to telemetry systems in the Engineering Services Department including:
- Water, Sewer & District Energy
- Potable Water (25+ sites)
- Dedicated Fire Protection System (9 complex sites)
- Sewer Pump Stations (26 pump stations)
- Neighbourhood Energy Utility (plant control system & remote monitoring of customer network)
- Solid Waste
- Vancouver Landfill (Landfill Gas, Leachate Control, Compost Grinder, Scales)
- Vancouver South Transfer Station (Scales)
- Departmental Services
- Kent Yard (Conveyor System, Asphalt Plant, Precast Plant, Scales)
The SCADA/telemetry systems consist of monitoring and controls technology that provide radio fed data from remote sites to our central control rooms. The SCADA systems are complex technical systems employing programmable logic controllers (PLC), remote terminal units (RTU) and field interface units (FIU).
Specific duties include:
- Maintaining the delivery of maintenance for the Departmental Telemetry assets
- Maintaining Hansen work service requests and recommending technical solutions
- Providing guidance and technical support to team members
- Gathering resources and equipment for departmental support
- Assisting the SCADA Technical Supervisor in preparing business cases to support client groups and their respective expenditures
- Assisting departmental operations staff in troubleshooting SCADA issues during emergency situations
- Day-to-day maintenance of departmental SCADA systems; assisting the SCADA Technical Supervisor in providing technical specifications for all system hardware and software, as well as review of drawings and as-builts
- Maintaining and programing PLC’s/RTU’s, HMI’s and radio systems, including making recommendations for new systems or upgrades for clients, consistent with City’s SCADA standards
- Project management of system upgrades and new system installations including estimating, scheduling and monitoring of costs, in accordance with the Departmental Project Management Framework
- Coordinating information sharing with Engineering IS, Corporate IT and Engineering Electrical Services
- Maintaining SCADA security and the latest product knowledge.
- Meeting with support staff and the SCADA Technical Supervisor on a regular basis to review/update SCADA work plan.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A university graduation with major courses in related subjects is preferred.
- Considerable related experience together with six months experience as a Computer Programmer (Trainee) or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Diploma in Electronics or Automation and Instrumentation, with a focus on automation and controls would also be considered.
- Allen Bradley PLC/Motorola RTU programming certification is preferred.
- Radio programming certification is preferred.
- Industrial Networking, programing industrial network switches, routers and firewalls is preferred.
- Cyber security along with knowledge IT/OT is preferred.
- Considerable experience in maintenance and troubleshooting of technical SCADA issues is preferred.
- Experience with electrical and mechanical systems used in the Water, Wastewater industry or Industrial Thermal Generation or Refrigeration plant processes would be beneficial.
- Both analytical and field experience is required along with experience in applying sustainable design principles.
- Experience with MODBUS communication, Motorola Ace and GE-iFix HMI/SCADA would be beneficial.
- Current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License is preferred.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- A well rounded electrical, instrumentation, automation, and communication systems background, that may include, but not limited to, knowledge of management of field upgrades and diagnosing problems related to radio and cellular communications
- Knowledgeable with radio based transmission systems, IP data transmission and HMI/PLC/RTU programming
- Familiar with Motorola remote transmitting unit technology, relevant PLC technology and interfaces.
- Experience and knowledge with Palo Alto, Westermo and Stratix would be an asset.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers, business and engineering software; experience with Hansen ERP would be beneficial.
- Familiar with the Canadian Electrical Code and ISA Standards.
- Proven contract administration and project management skills are preferred, with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated skill in resolving complex automation and technical communication issues
- Good project management, organizational, leadership, conflict resolution, technical writing and team building skills.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills with the ability to deal tactfully and sensitively to a variety of situations including contact with the Metro Vancouver, consultants and contractors.
- Ability to develop, document, review and revise formal working procedures and techniques.
- Ability to analyze the implications of proposed changes and to present proposals in non-technical language.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to respond to after-hours calls in a timely manner
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $34.98 to $41.29 per hour
Application Close: May 19, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.