Computer Programmer/Analyst – GIS Analyst (City-wide Plan)
Requisition ID: 14894
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City-wide Plan coordinated and managed by Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability is a major cross-departmental program to develop, implement, monitor and steward a long-range strategic plan to guide Vancouver to a bright, sustainable future looking out to 2050 and beyond. This transformative initiative advances and integrates policy areas across all disciplines of the City encompassing social, economic, environmental and cultural objectives through an over-arching lens of equity, reconciliation and resiliency. It will guide strategic planning and policy at the City in the future in alignment with Council, corporate and departmental policies, priorities, investments and actions.
Working on behalf of Technology Services, this position will reside with Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability, in the Long Range and Strategic Planning division, focusing on the Citywide Plan program. The successful candidate will provide a wide range of technical support and assistance to internal clients through design and implementation of GIS (Geographic Information Systems) solutions to support 2D and 3D data visualization products and geospatial data analysis. The candidate should be proficient in utilizing data, research and analytics, and geospatial visualization skills to support data-driven decision making. The successful candidate has a great combination of business analytics skills and geospatial skills to gather and develop requirements, design solutions, and implement solutions using GIS products, and are able to configure out-of-the box solutions
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The GIS analyst will play a key role in advancing data-driven analysis and geospatial visualization to inform policy options using analytics tools to present information, undertaking mapping, data collection and qualitative and quantitative analysis.
Using a variety of tools and technologies, the role works as part of a project team that is responsible for: (a) design and creation of enterprise consumable GIS solution products such as maps, geospatial data analysis, web mapping applications, 3D / BIM visualizations, geodatabase and spatial system integration solutions (b) rapid development of GIS data models to address a number of wide ranging GIS solutions and analytic challenges, (c) design and build on the enterprise level GIS ecosystem architecture that supports both enterprise solution creation as well as enabling self-service advanced business analytics, (d) supporting the design and adoption of enterprise data governance and data management, (e) designing, developing and supporting the technology and associated processes (Business and Technology) for the business projects and enterprise program such as VanMap and CityPlan.
Current technologies in use include: ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise (Server, Portal, datastore, web adapter), ESRI ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Autodesk (AutoCAD, InfraWorks, Revit, Civil 3D, 3DS Max), Sketchup, Rhino, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle and SQL databases, SSIS, SSAS, and FME.
Some duties the position would undertake include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzes existing and proposed business processes, system procedures and other informational requirements to support the design and development of new GIS solutions or enhancements for existing solutions
- Recommends, designs, documents, develops, and revises GIS solution products and applications (or components therein) of varying complexity
- Provides technical assistance where and as required as part of the GIS hybrid support team to deliver on agreed priorities
- Plans, documents and executes GIS solution creation and application implementation, including rollback strategies, and coordinating activities with other IT teams and clients, following best practices for project management, application deployment and communication
- Develops queries and advises team members on functionality, and instruction to locate and extract data
- Works with a variety of technology and business users to ensure data governance and data management practices are understood and being applied
- Estimates time and cost of research, analysis and development activities. Reports progress against estimates to management, Program/Project Managers, and project team members as needed
- Prepares and maintains detailed user and operations documentation to ensure service levels can be measured and achieved, and to meet audit requirements for safeguarding software, data and business continuity
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned and listed in the job description.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of university degree or college diploma in Computer Science, Information Technologies, Geography or GIS program OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Sound experience (preferably in a municipal environment) in the development, implementation and maintenance of GIS solutions; integration of applications and databases across platforms; using a variety of the programming languages, DBMS and other software tools is preferred
- Completion of GIS professional designations or ESRI certification (i.e. ArcGIS Desktop Professional, Developer, or Enterprise professional or associate certificates) or an equivalent combination of training and experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of GIS desktop tools such as ESRI ArcGIS Pro and extensions like Spatial or Network Analyst
- Thorough knowledge of developing web-based GIS applications
- Thorough knowledge of GIS analysis or the incorporation of geo-spatial data into data visualizations / analytical applications
- Thorough knowledge of geodatabase, data warehouse and data integration tools
- Considerable knowledge of data visualization best practices such as strong, demonstrable skill in using standard database management tools for querying relational database (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle), and ETL / analysis tool such as FME
- Considerable knowledge of CX design principles, UX, accessibility and wire framing, especially as they apply to the data visualization and data story telling
- Considerable knowledge of ITIL enterprise service management (ServiceNow)
- Proven ability in software development in a project environment with a focus on GIS data analysis and / or GIS application development, data visualization or data modelling
- Considerable knowledge of application design/development/deployment, user interface design, data integration, data extraction, data analysis, reporting, and database design
- Considerable knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and/or Computer-Aided Drafting and Design (CADD) use in a municipal environment and of their interaction with business processes and other systems
- Thorough working knowledge of database tools and integrated development environment, web development and client server, coding languages, and office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.)
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS API for Python and Jupyter Notebooks
- Considerable knowledge of software development lifecycle, and common models (agile, Kanban, iterative, waterfall, etc.) with familiarity in best software practices including source code control, user story development, value based prioritization and testing
- Working knowledge of CAD, 3D, BIM, imagery data analysis, machine learning and data science
- Ability to use documentation, testing, trouble-shooting, and security tools and techniques
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Combination of strong technical and business skills required
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Ability to act as project manager regarding the creation, configuration and application of GIS solutions in support of business operational and decision making processes
- Considerable skill in problem definition, user story development, solution analysis and data integration
- Naturally curious, communicates well across different stakeholders, ability to simplify complex data into clear, easily digestible insights
- Ability to work with columnar data stores across one or more environments (ESRI GeoDatabase, Enterprise data store, Azure, Google, AWS, Qlik, SQL Server SSAS Tabular)
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects, changing priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Continuous improvement and learning mindset
In general, applicants must have strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, must be able to demonstrate sound research and analytical abilities and experience, and have aptitude in graphic display and visualization of planning work. Working knowledge data visualization approaches in the fields of economics, land use planning, and urban design and use of metrics and indicators is preferred.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2019
Position End Date: October, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: October 25, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.