Make a Future
School District No. 38 (Richmond)
Assistant Manager, Purchasing
Recognized for its dedication to inclusion, diversity, and strong partnerships with the community, the Richmond School District is among one of the largest districts in British Columbia with some of the highest graduation rates in the province. With a deep history of high quality experiences for students, the Richmond School District strives to provide the best education and future for every student.
As an employer, we provide comprehensive growth, learning and engagement opportunities to the 2,600 committed professionals across the district. Reporting to the Purchasing Manager, the Assistant Manager, Purchasing supports procurement activities of the school district by effectively supporting the management of costs associated with procurement activities and ensuring reliable goods and services to the district.
- Supervise staff in the Purchasing Department
- Ensure adherence to the District’s purchasing policies, processes and practices
- Ensure a customer service focus in the Purchasing Department
- Oversee the preparation of tenders and the acquisition of materials and services with suppliers, subcontractors and professional service providers
- Support projects/initiatives such as strategic sourcing, policy and process reviews, maintenance of vendor databases, cost analysis and reporting
- Serve as a liaison to district staff and vendors by providing guidance and information on district procurement policies and procedures
- Assist Purchasing Manager in developing commodity plans and competitive sourcing strategies to furnish required materials and services
- Assist Purchasing Manager in negotiation and contract management
- Drive continuous improvement in material and service costs by identifying, prioritizing and driving cost saving opportunities
- Liaise with warehouse staff to ensure all goods arrive in good condition
- Ensure all purchasing activities are tracked and resolve issues as required
- Research and evaluate industry trends and suppliers including monitoring and analyzing district spending trends
- Assist Purchasing Manager in staff training and development
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports
- Perform other duties as contained in statute and as assigned from time to time by the Purchasing Manager and/or Director of Finance
The successful candidate will possess:
- Completion of a recognized professional purchasing program (PMAC or SCMAC) or in the progress of completion
- In depth knowledge of modern procurement and supply chain principle and practices
- A minimum of 5 years’ of experience in progressive purchasing roles, including supervisory experience
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy with demonstrated organizational and prioritization abilities
- Strong analytical, problem solving and technical skills and ability to exercise good and sound judgement
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong leadership abilities
Interested qualified applicants should apply online by clicking the “APPLY NOW” button.
Application deadline is January 7, 2019 at 12:00 pm.
For more information about Richmond School District 38, please visit www.makeafuture.ca/richmond or our website at www.sd38.bc.ca. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.